lateral internal sphincterotomy experience

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi guys hope everyone is well. Have been doing some research throughout my recovery and came across this site which helped me a lot.

I would like to discuss my recovery after having a 3-in-1 procedure. I've had a Lateral internal schincterotomy, Botox injections and skin tag removal. After suffering from haemorrhoids and fissures after the birth of my daughter (3 1/2years on and off) I decided to opt for surgery. I had the procedure done 9 days ago. I would just like to mention before my story that I have given birth to my daughter with no drugs, it was painful but I beared it.

Day 1: woke up in recovery felt absolutely fine was walking up and down waiting to go home went for a pee although my front and back felt numb. I went home with my mum and that evening I felt fine, took my meds (co-dydramol<huge mistake laxatives and antibiotics)

Day 2: Ate my porridge took my meds and felt fine all day just rested in bed

Day 3: Same as above but no bowel movement started to feel bloated and crampy I couldn't eat anything.

Day 4: I woke up and felt pressure on my bladder I felt like I had to go but it wasn't coming out then I felt my bowels trying to push something out but my mind wasn't ready however from the Botox injections my guess was that it was just pushing out although I had to strain to eliminate I did it and boy was it painful I quickly ran the bath with salt and was in there for a good hour crying my eyes out in pain with my daughter in the next room and her dad trying to calm me down. I cannot describe this pain to you honestly. After my butt stopped spasming I felt fine had discomfort though. I've decided to stop taking co dyramol as the constipation has left me scarred now I'm taking paracetamol and ibuprofen which doesn't even touch the pain!

Day 5-7: Every day for these 3 days have been a horror movie for me lol can we just please bare in mind that I'm eating mainly fibres and veg as I possibly can, and drinking 3 1/2 litres of water a day! Every morning when I wake up I know the routine toilet, agony, bath. Throughout these days I have been practicing meditating as the pain is at 10 I've opted for biting a flannel from when I open my bowels to when the pain starts easing off!

Throughout the whole pain process I pray and try to remain focused on what I want and that is to be able to care and play with my daughter and give her all my attention I miss her so much! I have told my partner to stay with my daughter at her grandmas house until I have healed to the point where I am able to wake up give her breakfast get her ready etc with bareable pain.

I went to the gp on the 7th day and all she said was it looks swollen and sent me off saying the pain you are experiencing is normal rolleyes

Day 8: woke up went to the toilet with my flannel in my mouth trying so hard to focus and not cry and break down I'm on my own so I can't fall into that pit right now I need to stay strong and bare the pain as much as I can! Went to the hospital though in agony haven't really got much support as my mums not well and my partner doesn't drive so I drove to the hospital after the bowel movement in agony waited in a&e got seen by the doctor and he took a look at it and said "I don't know how it looked after you had the op but it looks like you've got haemorrhoids" my guess is that the first time I opened my bowels post op I must have strained and pushed out 2 more on top of that raw skin. The doctor gave me stronger laxitives and numbing gels they use to catheterise patients and an ointment for the inflammation.

Day 9: Woke up and felt the urge to go toilet so as again I got my flannel ready lol and placed my self on the seat of doom, it was another painful one but the stools seemed a bit softer pain is still here I'm currently laying in the bath as it does help a little bit but my butt feels like a sharp knife is digging in sad

I have literally been in a cave on my own since day 4 trying my best to remain positive keep and strong mind and make sure I'm eating right drinking all the water I can so i can be with my daughter it is a very challenging experience and painful by far. I would rather give birth again than to go through this it's horrible. I believe that apart from me straining as a result of the co-dyrdamol I was mis-informed on the recovery sheet it says up to 1 week recovery and I can return to work. I remember the surgeon walking past me in the anaesthetic room to the theatre this is going to be very painful then all I remember was knocking out!

Hope I didn't bore anyone! Would anyone like to share their experiences would really help me I feel so alone and down and miss my baby sad

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I haven't had an experience like yours but just wanted to say how awful it all  sounds.....

I am sure that sharing your experience will be very helpful to others that have through it.

I hope that you are soon feeling a lot better.

xx

• Posted

Thank you so much. I know I can only get better, can't get worse than this. Trying to see the positives of this experience. If anyone is considering this just prepare yourself maybe use some laxitives prior to surgery so that your stools are already soft xx

• Posted

When I had my colonoscopy a few weeks ago, I had to take something to clear me out. Did you not have that?  

I hope that you will be ok for Christmas and that you have a lovely one.

xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.