Leaving work advice please? :)

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I am a month pregnant and I need some advice, I am a type 1 diabetic and well I want to leave work by the time I am 3 months gone for my health sake and the baby's health sake, work puts me under alot of stress as it is, and trying to juggle work, diabetes and pregnancy, well probably give me a melt down! I just want to focus on my health! Has anyone else quit work whilst pregnant and received any help money wise??

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I am not sure what country you live in but in my one you can't leave work that early and get maternity pay. If you are financially able to quit your job then fine but I think you would need to look very carefully at what you need to do to get maternity pay. Also, it is worth noting that you can have special measures put in place before you leave such as more breaks, time off for prenatal appointments, maybe even going part time (though that may affect your maternity pay). Basically I think you need to do some reasearch and go from there. 12 weeks is still very early. If you have diabetes they will probably be keeping a much closer eye on you anyway. 

Good luck hun, whatever you do. xx

• Posted

Hiya,

They do have to make some adjustments such as longer breaks by law if they are recommended by a doctor. In the UK, usually the earliest you can start your maternity leave is 11 weeks before the baby is due (so at 29 weeks) but it is worth remembering that the earlier you take your leave, the less time you get off after baby has come. I understand you have depression but I am not sure that changes much. As I say, things like extra breaks and time to go to prenatal appointments they have to give you by law.

It is worth reading up on your maternity pay rights on the GOV website.

But, long story short if you want to stop work at just 12 weeks you would probably have to quit your job. Also, you would have to give what, a months notice? And pregnancies are always higher risk during the first 12 weeks? So just think things through properly. Congrats again hun.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.