Leg pains along back of leg and stretches haven't helped, any recommendations?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've hhadleg pain along the back of my leg for a couple months now, I think it started after hurting it from exercising as I did not do enough stretches. I initally waited for what I thought was the muscle pain to go away, but that didn't happen. The pain only fades when I stretch my leg out flat and hurts the most when sitting down for extended periods of time. I have been trying different stretches and none have had any effect, since the pain seems to start from around my thigh and aches further down I am now worrying that maybe it could be something more serious than just normal muscle pain. Any suggestions are appreciater, I am a 17 year old male.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Isaac. I have had that type of pain, and it is called sciatica. I went to a chiropractor and he fixed it. Sciatica is caused by pressure on a nerve. You can look it up online.

Hope you can get it fixed. Sincere best wishes, harrishill.

• Posted

Hi Isaac, I hope its not sciatica for your sake but the first thing that sprang to mind after reading your post is, of course you may do this already, its very important to warm up properly BEFORE doing stretches and exercises. Only hold stretches for 10 seconds before exercising and 30 seconds afterwards and never bounce whilst doing a stretch. If I were you I would do some gentle back relaxation exercises, there`s plenty online, because sciatica comes from the back and can radiate down the entire leg. These exercises have got me out of trouble before now. Best Wishes.
    • Posted

Thank you for the advice, I agree with you and harrishill1 that it sounds like sciatica. I'll alter any exercises I do to stop putting too much pressure on my back, I'll also start on improving my posture. There's not too much of a way around sitting down for long periods of time as I'm still on college and classes are 2 hours long. I've started doing some regular back exercises and hopefully that will start to heal whatever I've done, though it is concerning that I even managed to get sciatica at my age in the first place.

• Posted

Hi Isaac, I also got sciatica in my late teens which was a very long time ago, in fact I didn`t even know at the time that that`s what is was. I was very ignorant about backs back then and gave no thought to heavy lifting etc (I can tell you I do now) Yes sitting is extremely bad for backs but if you can manage to gently stretch the ham strings morning and evening it will help a lot as sitting shortens them. I lay on the floor and gently lift my leg up one at a time and gently stretch my ham string also after sitting you can stand up and hands on hips arch the back, do this a few times to counteract the sitting. Hope things are improving for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.