leg shortening

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi there..i am a 21 year old..i had a bike accident almost a year ago.I had a commutative fracture on the lower part of the femur which connects to the knee joint.The doctor had kept a titanium plate on it.Unfortunately my right leg has become 1" shorter after the fusing of the bone.Now the main problem is My physio has advised me not to raise the heel and has told me to walk normally as there is not much visible limping.He doesn't want me make the habit of walking with the raised heel in the future.But my doctor who did the surgery has asked me to raise the heel.when i told him about the advise from the physio,the doctor didn't like it.Eventually i decided not to raise the heel and took the advice of physio.Its been three months since i stopped using the heel raise.I have a slight discomfort while walking.few days back i noticed a small lump developed just above the but crack.I am in a great confusion.I dont know what to do.whoese advise to take.Things i should be careful for the future. Please help

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm surprised that the physios advice was different to the doctor. Sometimes walking with a limp can cause back,pelvis and spine problems,maybe this is what you are experiencing.  No matter how small the difference in leg length you will be compensating by rocking from side to side when you are walking.  This can cause nerve irritation or joint problems.      You are saying that the discomfort has started now you have abandoned the heel raise. Try using the heel raise again and see if the discomfort stops.    Are you in UK?
    • Posted

Actually the physio that I consultated with is a high experience guy.He is old and works in one of the major hospitals around.The surgeon who carried out my surgery is also a famous and experience doctor.So I m very much in confusion.I think physio might know more than the doc in this case as he had seen lots of similar cases earlier .I am not in UK.I am so much worried about how much difference will my decision make in future sad
  • Posted

So,you are convinced that both surgeon and physio are both correct,,,,,,but you are in doubt as well.     Why not try 3 months on the heel raise and then 3 months without and see which suits you.    You need to be able to walk without pain and discomfort.  Pain is not good         Alternatively,seek a third opinion,to have your leg remeasured and  your particular needs assessed.              

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.