Legs weeping excessively

Posted , 5 users are following.

My husband had cellulitis end Feb and it took 4 courses of antibiotics to clear it up. He then developed blisters on his legs. Nurses have been coming twice a week to dress legs and I do the inbetween dressing change. However, he does seem to be losing an excessive amount of fluid from the legs today. It is soaking through the pad I changed this morning. Nurses seemed to think blistering was just the residue of cellulitis. Nurse coming tomorrow so hopefully I can discuss with her. Bottom part of legs are still red but no redder than usual. He does still have some sores but they are healing. The fluid seems to be mainly coming from a large patch near his ankle which looks almost as if it has been burned. Husband is 79. Has anyone else encountered fluid seeping from legs? thanks for reading 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Not had weeping but I do have what looks like a bruise on my ankle and leg is still swollen after a couple of years.
    • Posted

Hi brads I also have what looks like bruising on my lower leg/ankle have had it for a number of years and had numerous investigations my last one was from a dermatologist last week and he immediately put it down to varicose veins.

So I've gone from old insect bite infection to this but no actual treatment..

The reason I was referred to dermatologist is a red itchy rash on both my shins and as this is how my bruising started .

• Posted

hi krug i had blisters caused by cellulitus lots of fluid everywhere dried up and turned to scabs took a while to get wright
  • Posted

If he has poor circulation or lymphedema, you have to control his intàke of fluids bc if he doesn't take a water pill to eliminate it it overflows thru his tissues and eventually it breaks down the skin causing cellulitis. That excess fluid has to go somewhere. So...he needs a good water pill and he can regulate his intake.

Ladyjack51

• Posted

He now has 2 huge blisters filled with orange fluid near his ankle - they came up between 11am when I dressed his leg and 4pm yesterday. Nurse hopefully coming so shall discuss it with her. It was the leg that was healing nicely too. There is another small hard blister on his other leg.He says they do not hurt. No idea of cause as went to the opticians yesterday but he did not wear socks over his dressings and wore his slippers so could not be that .    
    • Posted

Krug22

That is lymphatic fluid coming thru out the skin which is then infected and we call it cellulitis. He has to get his legs higher than his hips so that the fluid can drain back out of the leg but you can't really bind that leg up until you treat and heal the wounds and truthfully that can be an intense process . He is very lucky to have you if you can help him bc those dressings have to be changed and kept dry. I know bc I went thru no one knowing what I had for 4 years and horrible cellulitis. God bless you

Ladyjack51

• Posted

Thankyou ladyjack51.  Nurse been out and dressed legs with pads and pull on sort of bandages. She is not too worried but did say if he got more blisters or they became larger and legs became red, to call  the Duty GP. If this does not happen, they will keep an eye on it and are back on Monday. I will keep checking the legs to make sure they are not hot. She did ask if he was on water pills. We are seeing the dermo early August and the Geriatric Consultant late July so shall maybe discuss water pills with them. He is 79 and somewhat difficult so not sure he would sit with his legs elevated as it has been suggested.
  • Posted

hi krug you in it again hope your getting some good help  not sure whether this is any help but i was put on antibiotics for life low dose  i know it might not suite but its as helped me keep the infection away i think you said once he was not good on abs but i should take two  have cut it to one as it was upsetting  my guts and keep my eye on leg in case of any redness then take 2 i seem to have been lucky so far and i water have probs with leg but seem to be getting on top it  with socks compression and a cream that with knees but seems to help with the fluid by cooling it down inflammatory so it stops swelling/fluid there but you have to ask those who know docs/ nurses  but are you ok enough help krug 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.