leukoplakia. what side effects should I expect?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello. Six months ago, my doctor diagnosed me with verrucous leukoplakia of the labia mucosa. He said that it can be dangerous and in the future it can turn into cancer. He prescribed cryotherapy. I can't tell you in words what a nightmare it was. The pain was horrible during the recovery period. I had candida, which i hadn't had in years. I got an ulcer, a wound on my skin that didn't heal for a long time. I couldn't walk normally. And the most frustrating thing is that my suffering is in vain, the stain has not gone completely. I'm not ready for surgery yet.

Now I'm being treated by another doctor. She offers several options: a course of Tolak with panthenol + vitamin A, or imiquimod + vitamin A orally, or a course of regencorr +vit A, or combination. Very concerned about the side effects.

Trying to realize what to expect and what side effects to prepare for. My nerves are on edge. I have a low tolerance for pain. Reading reviews, people write scary and contradictory stories.

Do you think it would be less painful than cryotherapy?

The doctor is offering options, and i can't decide. by the way, no doctor has ever told me the cause of leukoplakia.

Share your experience, who knows. please

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi! did he mention if this is due to lichen or hpv?

• Posted

Hello. No the doc didn't say anything about HPv, but i have read about it. One of the docs told me there could be many reasons, but didn't suggest what my reason was. There was a period, i was using tampons and had irritation and inflammation, maybe that played a role. Maybe it doesn't matter anymore.

• Posted

Leukoplakia, it's definitely precancer. I have a similar spot, but I haven't had a histology done yet. I'll do it next week. i've tried imiquimod to remove a few condylomas. It's a horrible ordeal. Pain, intense burning, very severe weakness and chills. The depression was terrible. My spot looks like leukoplakia, pale in color, next to the condylomas. I don't know about regencorr, but it is described as being for the face.

If the inflammation is small, it may be better to try Tolak, but after it can appear ulcers. Many people write that it takes a long time to heal. The doctor knows about the side effects, that's why he's so cautious, that's why he's acting like this. Have you started treatment yet? What treatment did you choose?

• Edited

The doctor told me all these creams cause itching and burning, some more, some less, that there is no simple treatment and that it will not go away by itself. On imiquimod information is contradictory. Some write that on mucous membranes can not be used at all. The doctor never mentioned imiquimod again, now I understand why.

We decided that I will start with a soft therapy with Regencorr, for 4 weeks, and if the result is not enough, I will try a course of Tolac.

I haven't had intimate relations with my husband in months. If I don't have it for another 2 or 3 months, it will be very bad, I think. His patience and understanding will run out and he'll just leave.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.