Levothyroxine and anxiety

Posted , 2 users are following.

Does anyone know if you can develop a side effect from levothyroxine after taking it a while? I was on 50mcg for years with no problem. My TSH was 5.1 end of December so Dr increased to 75mcg. Then 10 days later constant anxiety started and no appetite. Rechecked TSH 6 weeks later and was 1.2 so Dr thought mYbe the drop was too fast for my body so we decreased dose to 25mcg. Still having constant nervousness. Just wondered if maybe it’s the levothyroxine, and my body maybe just can’t tolerate it since we played around with the dose. 

Any insight would be so appreciated. Thanks 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hopeful smile Now I don't know if what I say next will be helpful to you or not, but I'm putting it out here in case anyone reads it. I was on 125mcg for 5 years after a total thyroidectomy. Recently (as in the last 6 months) I started getting bad muscle pain, stuffy head, sore neck - all of which I put down to the meds/and or age. Accidently I ran out of the 25mcg pack due to a bank holiday, so I just took the tablet from the 100mcg pack thinking that *some* was better than nothing. What a huge difference! I have so much more energy, clear thinking, and no pain anywhere! I  spoke to my consultant who said just stick with 100mcg if I felt so good, but to tell him again if things change. My point being, is that our bodies change over time, and there are many variables in life which can change, such as diet, exercise, etc, which all impact on our metabolism/hormones. So I feel that Levo side effects can also change/newly arrive, according to our dosage. I did feel below par, worried a lot/anxious, and that does seem to have gone away somewhat with the lower dosage. You have to do what feels better for you, not a doctor reading figures on a chart. (A weight chart says I should be 3 stone lighter than I am, but I'm a size 14 and have been since 2005) If you were feeling good on 50mcg, I would stay on that if you feel good, because charts are very general, but you know in yourself what's best. Hope this of some use. smile

• Posted

Thank u!! This is very helpful. My TSH came back today at 2.43 only taking 25mcg levothyroxine. I’m going to see if I can just stop the med and repeat TSH in 6 weeks. I feel better when my TSH is higher- like 3-4 range. 

I appreciate your response. I will listen to my body. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.