Levothyroxine and Constant bleeding

Posted , 3 users are following.

Can anyone help

Been on levothyroxine for nearly 2 months and have been spotting/light bleeding for 6 weeks. Has anyone else experienced this? Will it stop when body adjusts? 

Thanks! 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I had loads of side effects with Levothyroxin but not that one, you need to check this out with the doctor just to be on the safe side. It may not be due to the medication.
  • Posted

The levo made my periods lighter.

Spotting and excessive bleeding, frequent periods can be a symptom of advanced hypothyroid disease. As the disease progresses, the body starts to shut down less vital functions,  including metabolism, hormone production and the immune system.

Levothyroxin can worsen thyroid disease by triggering the immune system. I feel the levothyroxin actually accellerated my thyroid disease. My thought us that if you’re having excessine bleeding, the medication appears to be worsening your thyroid condition.

Honestly, if its causing the heavy bleeding, I’d say the levo is doing the opposite of what it’s supposed to do and if it were me, I’d  get off the stuff before it causes worse damage.

Go back to the doc and get some NDT. Natural dessicated thyroid. 

Alternatives to prescription meds are ThyroGold (excellent!) and essential amino acid complex. I use essential amino acid complex- it works better than any of the prescription meds with minimal to no side effects.

Deal with any other problems associated with the hypothyroud disease: hormone imbalances, gut issues, food sensitivities, chronic pancreatitis.

Acupuncture is amazing for getting your system back on track!

Well that’s my best recommendation after my experience with years of thyroid hell.  I tried 10 different meds and many doses and in the end, my feeling is that the meds cause more  problems than they solve. Ive also tried many thyroid supplements. Most of the specialized herbal  thyroid supplements offered some temporary reliefs for me, but then stopped working.  The essential amino acids and ThyroGold continue to work for long periods of time..

Good luck. Read all the side effects listed on the inserts that come with your prescription. Read through the many posts in the thyroid and levothyroxin groups. You’ll find a myriad of information and experiences from others that will save you from the many pitfalls while navigating thyroid disease.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.