Lichen and diarrhoea

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi I'm new to the Forum. I have recently been diagnosed with LichenSclerosus and been prescribed Dermovate.  I am using the ointment once a day as instructed but so far the itch is still well and truly with me.  I try not to scratch but sometimes it just gets to a point where I have to. sad  The last couple of days I've had constant diarrhoea and am wondering if this is linked either to the condition or the ointment? Hope someone is able to help.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It is very hard trying to find what works for your body I was diagnosed about a year ago and I'm still trying to figure it out I just got done advice in here for my fusing that just happened it seemed overnight I was cheating on my diet and I usually have flair ups when I do but she told me to use witch hazel in a spray bottle every time I go to the bathroom then dab dry with toilet paper then use 100 percent aloe I could only find 98 percent but it is working very well I also use Manuka honey at night with a liner so it doesn't get all over I also follow a gluten free diet and I take wheat grass everyday and pro biotic I just use the children's it seems to work best for me I also take biotin and coconut oil everyday it's a lot but it helps a lot every woman is different you game to find what spikes it for most it is diet, hormone levels, a lack of something in there body I hope this helps
  • Posted

Hi Jane,

I know where you are coming from. The itch can be unbearable, however, scratching makes it worse. Try sitting in a little warm water with baking soda. I have found that to help. My ointment is Clobetasol.

It is a never ending battle but it does go into remission for awhile and the itching will eventually stop. Some have tried white vinegar in a sits bath and found that helps too. Good luck. Hope you find relief soon. Not sure about the diarrhoea...that sounds like another issue....intestinal maybe. (Could be stress related though)

• Posted

Hi Jane, sorry you had to join us.

For some people, diet plays a strong role in managing Lichen Schlerosus, for others it has no effect on their Lichen Schlerosus whatsoever, we are all different, and therefore it is worth finding out if  diet is affecting your condition.  I am Gluten and Dairy free, and one slip up with either of the two can bring on numerous unpleasant LS problems.

Stress and Sugar most definitely need to be avoided, I think sugar is the single worst ingredient in the modern diet and  contributes to all sorts of diseases.. If you  can stop eating anything with sugar in for a while, you may see a huge improvement!! I know this to be true from my own personal experience...cheesygrin

The diarrhea could be stress, I don't know about that, but try not to get too stressed if you can, and  read the link at the top of the site for newcomers.  

• Posted

Witch hazel, aloe vera gel, manuka honey all work well for me.  I have also gone sugar, dairy and grain free which has also made a great difference.  I'm in remission as long as I keep up with these things.  I also have an auto immune disease in my mouth...I slipped up on my diet...and oh am I sorry.  Also, do be aware that often an auto immune disease can be followed my another. Many cases of this on this forum.  So to stay symptom free and healthy it is important to take serious care of yourself.  Once it becomes a habit it does become easier.
  • Posted

Before I was diagnosed I had diarrhea for two weeks prior. Now every so often I still do. Not fun, nothing fun about LS.
  • Posted

Hi Jane Tough luck to have both LS AND Diarrhoea. As you know  faecal matter is full of digesting enzimes which WILL cary on doing so outside the gut; so do make sure you are REALLY careful about getting all body fluids off your skin- and that does include urine too (and sweat etc) So make sure your skin is REALLY clean then put on you ointment wait for about 20 mins then put on a thick layer of barrier cream or ointment - whichever you choose - Repeat this every time you have a bout of the squits- The Dermovate - apply as directed by your medic

Sugar is known to increase the peristaltic action of the gut - but also make sure you are not dehydrated - drink a lot of clear fluids, stay off solid foods for a while until the squits stop- if they dont then get in touch with your GP and also get some replacement electrolytes - from the chemist  who can advise you - the squits can make you lose a lot of the essential body chemicals very quuickly and you will feel much worse

As to the scratching try rubbing your arm picturing the  relief you have in your undercarriage - with out the damage. IF you feel you HAVE  to relieve the itch, firm pressure - when on one is looking BUT NO SCRATCHING - EVER!!! Cool shower directed on the area, ice crushed in a plastic bag wrapped in a cloth and slightly damp. your skin is damaged and more friction will just prolong the agony - sadly!

Do look at "New to LS" and Dr Goldsteins webinar - it explains a lot,Details are on the first page of the site relating to LS, then read the other threads on the site going back several months -you may find some answers to questions you didnt know you needed to ask!

Take Care Sue and i hope it stops itching soon - tho it does take a while for the Dermovate to start to work

• Posted

Hi Jane Do you have any other health problems for which you are taking medication ?

I also have diabetes and one of the meds I take is called Metformin and this causes diarroea. perhaps you are taking something else that has the same effect.

You are aware I hope that these types of ointment should be applied VERY THINLY.

They thin your skin and make it look aged befor eit's time. I have had many, many different ointments of this type, and to be quite frank found them all useless. The only thing that works for me is when I shower I also use a solution of Bi-carb of soda ( not to strong ) and leave it on for a few minutes before showering it off. If you look on this site you will find a few sufferers do this.

I don't have your condition but one called Lichen Planus. This information is maybe to help you and may not be best for you. I am just passing on my experience. I do find that Dr's Med's  do need your own personal tweak from time to time. Best of luck lass. I am male by the way, and it seems to be mostly females on this site.

Brian.

• Posted

Thanks so much for all the helpful responses, I really appreciate it.  I have only been using the Dermovate for 6 days so need to have patience. The diarrhoea seems to have stopped and I'm wondering if it was stress related.

• Posted

Hi Jane I was prescribed the cream Dermovate and was told to use it for a month. I didnt have diarrhoea , it does have a steroid in it . I found it was very good and my LS improved. Eating oranges does help to take the acid out of urine that helps stop damage to tissues and I found the itching less.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.