Lichen and sex

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm seeing derm next week and vulva clinic in 2 months for possible lichen. I'm having a hard time dealing with the possibility of not having a normal sex life again. what does it look like for you? if you're in remission are you able to have sex on regular basis or does it cause flares? do most ppl go into remission or are the symptoms just not as bad?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Hi, first of all I really do sympathise and you're not alone. I was diagnosed 5 yrs ago when the symptoms were at their worst. intercourse had been painful for 2 yrs and I was treated with Vagifem for vaginally atrophy. eventually I had a biopsy and the diagnosis was made. I was treated with steroid cream which worked really well and I've had no major flare-ups since. However intercourse is impossible for me. tried it with lubricant and whilst the " act" was ok ish afterwards was horrendous. The whole vulval area felt as though it had been sandpaper. It was grazed I could touch it with tissue paper and had to wee whilst pouring cold water over the area at the same time. it's so depressing and makes me feel old and unfeminine. I've no idea what or if there is any help out there, the GP and dermatologist couldn't really help with this side of things.

• Posted

I wish I could say something more positive but I'm not able to have a 'normal' sex life. I was just about able to endure it to get pregnant but penetration was painful and skin could be broken and sore afterwards so it isn't something me and my partner do much outside of trying for a baby anymore. HOWEVER rather than focusing on the things that are difficult, once you come to terms with it, it can be better to focus on finding out what you can still do. For example, start by finding a decent lubricant that works for you and don't assume all are equal. Avoid anything with heat, or advertising heightened pleasure or fragrance as these will aggrevate you - keep it to simple formulations. We choose to avoid sex but use hands instead. I actually use baby oil as a lube when using hands (it's not appropriate for actual sex), but I've found it's brilliant as unlike usual lubes, it doesn't dry out or leave that sticky thick residue. Then you need an understanding partner who genuinely understands what it means to be gentle with their hands. Start there and Experiment. There will be days you can do more than others.

Good Luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.