Lichen Sclerosus Help

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, Im 23 newly diagnosed (no biopsy yet) with lichen sclerosus, which started 3 month ago with a reoccurrent cut in the posterior fourchette, I also have some discoloration like whitish patch aroung the cut and mild itchiness only during penetration, no during day or night. My lichen sclerosus is, I suppose,still  very mild and my goal is to completely cure it . I have no idea what have been causing this disease expecially at a young age like mine, I havnt had any kids yet no trauma down there, and still this happened . I get really stressed out, I'm a very depressed person and in my family we have had 3 or 4 diagnosis of autoimmune diseases and it seems that LS is one of them . Has anyone completely cure it? or went into remission? Please I need for advice of what to do as the doc has prescribed me Clobetasol cream and I really dont want to use it cause of the side effects.

All the best

Gio

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hiya,

I think everyone gets LS for completely different reasons and the problem is figuring out what reason is YOUR reason! Lifestyle and diet play a big part of recovery (IMO). A lot of sufferers have had hugely beneficial results from cutting sugar (especially), dairy and wheat from their diet. I think the fact that you get stressed out and are depressed obviously wont help. You should try using the Clobetasol cream - it could greatly help you along the road to recovery. Many people use it and get great relief from it. I dont use steriod cream anymore as it seemed to agrevate the problem (tho it did help initially).  Its a very trial and error type disease. Hopefully reading lots of the posts on here will give you lots of different things to try.  I have (95% of the time!) cut out sugar, dairy, wheat and meat/poultry and take Celedrin and, touch wood, everything is quiet at the mo. Please dont despair as you may easily get it under control with a few changes.

xx

• Posted

Hi Claire,

Thanks for your reply I will definately change my diet like many of you guys did and see how it goes, Im waiting for the referral to the gyne as I have been diagnosed by my GP. I just purchased organic vitamin e oil and EMUaid as it seems that many people have had great improvements with this stuff. I'll keep you guys updated.

• Posted

Hiya,

Another couple of things I thought of that I do that I think helps. I only use bleach free toilet paper. I double rinse (in the w/m)  all clothes that come into contact with my nether regions and I don't use soap there, just warm water.

Hope this helps!

xx

• Posted

I would only add, pure cotton slips are better than polyester-cotton (can't find them in stores in Canada. I buy them online) 
  • Posted

The the real cause I believe is not known while they do believe it to be caused by a number of things I don't believe there is enough research being done yet to tell

I as well am only 28 no known cause many women have said they help stop the flare ups with diet I have been on a gluten free diet for about two and a half weeks now and I never would have known but now I believe I had a gluten intolerance witch is also licked to LS. I was always bloated my stomach always hurt and I went to the bathroom number two like five times a day I'm feeling much better now and my LS is slowly clearing with the help of the steroid ointment as well of course I was only diagnosed four months ago but have been having to do most research on my own due to the lack of knowledge  my DR. Has you do need to get control of it because it can become cancer I would definitely get a biopsy to be sure but look up Dr Goldstein he had a wonderful webinar you should watch

• Posted

Yes I'm very afraid of that either, and Im literally spending my free time researching for alternative remedies, cures, etc. I will look DR goldstein  webinar.

thanks .

• Posted

Hi Giovy, sorry you had to join us here.

My understanding is that it is an auto immune disorder and therefore incurable, but many woman have had success in sending LS into remission, for months and sometimes even years!! Becoming more informed is an excellent plan and I hope you use the cream prescribed for you at this stage because its important.  

When first diagnosed I felt the same as you, and without becoming  more informed on this condition, I put the cream to one side, and in a very short time I had some fusing.  If I had taken the time to understand why its important, especially when first diagnosed this would not have happened.  Now I only use it twice a week for maintenance, I am now Gluten free and Diary free also.

I carefully watch what I eat and try not to over indulge with sweet stuff, which I believe is probably the root cause of Lichen Schlerosus  flare ups. 

Too much sugar causes Candida and Candida thrives on sugar.  Sugar is the fuel which helps yeast thrive, grow, and multiply.  The result of Candida overgrowth is frightening, and so I would do some research on that as Candida weakens your immune system.  

I take a natural enzyme supplement everyday for Candida,  which helps stop any overgrowth issues as well  as an excellent probotic too.

I dont think you need to panic, really, some woman have this condition far more serious than others, and it sounds like your in the less serious category...just read as much as you can on this site and you will most definitely feel less anxious.

• Posted

Hi guppy 

Thanks for the info , could you tell me the name of the enzyme you are using to stop candida overgrowth ?

whish you the best 

giovy 

• Posted

My best thoughts would be:

deal with the stress. Stress can be environmental (pollution), ingested (food that doesn't agree with your body) or emotional (emotional smile

I've had LS for a long time and haven't cured it yet, but it's a lot better than it was at the start. Mostly it's gotten better by my "listening" to my body, finding a good alternative practitioner, finding out what my food sensitivities are, eating healthy, and drinking plenty of unchlorinated water. For emotional stress, I exercise regularly, get plenty of sleep, do yoga and mindfulness meditation and cultivate a good social life.

Sharing our experience and treatments is a great way to go. I wish you a cure! 

• Posted

I just started doing yoga every second day for forty minutes. My back was acting like an old lady's back and I'd stopped getting monthly shiatsu massages. Yoga works like a full body massage! It's awesome. I think it balances our energy better than anything.
    • Posted

I plan on looking for a yoga class too.  I used to love yoga many years ago, and then I hurt my neck in a skiing accident and never went back to it, but I think I could manage a beginners class, its on my list of New Year Resolutions.....
    • Posted

I wish I'd been learning yoga during the three or four years I spent intensively learning tai chi fifteen years ago. But I'm finding the body-awareness skill is transferrable.
  • Posted

Giovy, I got LS at your age – exactly the same symptoms. I'm now 63 and was only diagnosed a year and a half ago. Looking back I know it was stress and too much sugar and alcohol that kept it flared up. Sex was usually painful, but I felt compelled to grin and bear it too often for my own good.

Even untreated I had long periods of remission. I had two kids in my thrities by natural childbirth. And lots of great sex during a long remission after my divorce (go figure) in my forties.

Use your Clobetasol as Dr. Goldstein instructs. This takes a long time to really get the skin almost back to normal. After 18 months my flare-ups are very shallow and mild and only happen when I'm upset. All the other things we talk about doing here hugely help prevent flare-ups and make us more comfortable.

If you keep having sex while the fourchette is torn, you risk deep scarring and skrinkage of your vaginal introitus. I believe my relatively good history is partially due to long periods of celibacy over the decades. Also, I may have a long, slow type of LS. Some women have very aggressive LS.

I wouldn't demand a biopsy. Your symptoms are classic. The trauma could just trigger more flaring – it's called the Koebner Effect.

Glad you found us. Hope thing look up soon. See if you can acquire some mindful awareness practices to manage your negative emotions. I did that in my forties and it made a world of difference.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.