Lichen Sclerosus -- is my sex life over at 56?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Thanks for all the great threads.  I'm furious at a primary care doc, two years ago, when I asked about the white 'lines' -- I now know they are scars-- and he brushed it off.  I changed doctors, and went this week to ask about the out of control itching, and a lesion (that terrified me, and cost me a night of sleep).    

The gyno I saw this week wants to biopsy the lesion to rule of vulvar cancer.  (shriek!!).  So, after a miserable ten days, I am finally on some cream for the LS, and using some vaginal moisturizer (Replens), some hydrocortisone for anal itching (often an LS symptom, that doesn't seem fair), but my lady bits finally feel a bit settled down.

So, question for anyone post menopausal (especially singles!)  -- is a 'normal' sex life in the realm of the possible?  With my last beau, I used lube, and the LS wasn't progressed enough to be an issue at all.  Now it's more of an issues, but since  I will treat it, it will hopefully prevent any additional progression of the symptoms.

I'm in the early stages of panic, wondering if a prospective beau would consider LS and STD?

Thanks for a supportive forum, and any insights you can provide me!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sabrina,

My sympathys to you.  My gyne told me that LS was NOT contagious...and I am taking him at his word.  However, I'm sure the internet has information on that too.  I had a bad lesion inside the vagina and that is where the doctor did a biopsy...yikes, it took forever for that to heal.  I wish you well and good luck with the awful malady.

• Posted

hello Sabrina,  I can't answer about the sex life stuff...but I wanted to say something about the lesion that is so scary....I had a dark, dark spot about the size of a dime or so and I was terrified, I also imagined it must be cancer.  However, the biopsy showed it was LS, and the steroid gel made it go away.  I also had a sleepless night the day I discovered it!....I was imagining what sort of surgury I was going to go through, etc.  Turned out it was easily taken care of.  I hope you have the same outcome. 
  • Posted

As you know it's not an STD and so if a future partner doesn't believe you and won't either read the basic information you give them, or do their own research, well that sounds like someone who is narrow minded and won't be understanding and accommodating of your needs. I think understanding and good communication are imperative for an LS sex life for it will likely be somewhat different than what you were accustomed to. Simply put: you may need more gentleness much of the time and/or some acts may be off the menu. Sex is good for LS but it's a fine line as it can aggravate it. I find estradiol cream applied in a small amounts on the vulva helps to 'beef up' the tissue and make it a bit more resilient to tearing.

At this point, I'd focus on getting your LS under control. It can be a bit of a roller coaster as you start to experience different things. Read New To LS and many of the other posts on here. There is a lot of good information and support to be found and unfortunately many in the medical profession, including gynaecologists, aren't well informed.

• Posted

Hi Sabrina,

Lichens sclerosis is not an STD it is an autoimmune problem.  Sex is healthy and should not be over for you. True, most doctors are not so aware of it and there is no cure.  I have been the gamut with it for 30 plus years. 

• Posted

Sabrina, again LS is not STD.  It's what doctors call 'a rare skin disease'  It's not as rare as they want you to believe.  Doctors are still learning about this disease as well.  Many of us here have learned from each other.  

Sex is good and possible, but needs to be a careful, gentle act.  I also encourage you to start dilating.  Buy yourself a good set of dilators.  I lube with fluid coconut oil and dilate every other day.  Next to taking baking soda baths (1/3 of a cup) and baking soda rinses after every bathroom visit (three pinches in a Perin bottle) then apply coconut oil (yes in the section of the supermarket, not fluid but under room temperature buttery)  (Coconut oil is anti bacterial and anti fungal.)

Then there is the diet:  no sugar, no alcohol, no gluten, limited dairy.  (cheeses will make my LS act up almost immediately)  Home cooked meals,  illiminate food that comes in packages that last forever.  

Brows through the stories already told and build your own regiment of things to do for you to be able to keep LS in check.  

• Posted

LS is not an STD. Just a skin condition. With the help of the steroid ointment, coconut oil, a healthy diet and dilators, sex will be enjoyable again. Even less of an effort if your sex life isn't too damaged in the first place. 

With determination to control your condition it is very possible. 

I am 19 and am not going to end my sex life now!! Haha

Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.