Lines in bruise/hematoma from iv blown vein - is it normal?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Nothing similar on Google images and really don't want to waste my doctors time and my own getting an appointment to check it's normal.

8 days on now from a blown vein due to a bad iv cannula attempt. No bandage or plaster was applied after it so the lines can't be from that.

The lines have shown up in the last 2 days, slightly sore but not terrible. Just want to make sure it's nothing I need to get checked.

Thank you

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

That is certainly some bruising. Probably couldnt find a decent vein and had to probe around a bit so causing all the subsequent bruising. This happens quite frequently. It looks Ok and will fade eventually so dont worry. If bruising should break out in another entirely different place then see your doctor, but I doubt that it will.

Looking at your pic you have deep seated veins so if you need to give some blood or have a cannula again, try to have a glass of water beforehand and be well hydrated. It makes it easier

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.