Lingering pain after attack

Posted , 3 users are following.

New on site. Please someone let me know if this post works. 47yr old M having gout attacks over 4 yr period. More frequent now. No meds yet. Trying acupuncture and diet. This last attack pain not goimg away well. Its been at least 13 days. Doing cherry juice, yogurt, celery, turmeric, vit c. Feel very nervous that it is not becoming a lasting issue with the soreness. I get in same spot on both feet usually one at a tome, it starts in joint on outside top and in its worst feels like all bones in foot are broken. At breaking point. Want to avoid meds.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi Yankee

a) it works

b) this alternative stuff is all very well - if it works. But every attack you have allows the immune system to attack and destroy a part of the lining of the joint, eventually doing permanent arthritic damage to the joint.

What level is your urates at when you are t having an attack?

Why do you want to avoid meds?

Be aware not treating the high level of irate in the blood is not just an issue for your toe, but an as yet unseen issue for your heart, blood circulation and kidneys.

• Posted

Thanks for your responses. Its confusing because they would not commit to it being gout although mentioned allopurinal already. My uric acid is at 7.2 two weeks ago. Trying all these different things to see what helps. Blood for kidney liver and sugar were ok
    • Posted

5.9 is the max because at just over 6, the urate precipitates into the joints and tissues. 7.2 is bad without an attack - if during an attack it's very high (the attack is caused by a reduction in blood concentration of urate). You need to drink water. Avoid alcohol especially beer.

In my opinion you either have to get on to the allopurinol (or equivalent), or go onto strict diet, suffer attacks and eventually complications: tophi, heart disease, kidney stones.

• Posted

Hi yankee

I also avoided for 4 years and now I am in a bad condition..my immune system became active..now Ra factor become positive and anti ccp also with erosion. .I dont have morning stiffness and pain not symmetric so my rhumy concluded pseudogout.

now I am on febuxostat since three months still not better. .there is slight pain in fingers and too much in shoulders which comes and goes..

so beware..take treatment as soon as possible and do not stop it in between

thats key

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.