Lisfranc Ligament Fusion Surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

My husband found out today that he needs fusion surgery to repair the lisfranc ligament and surrounding areas.  Looking for some advice from folks out there that may have had this done.  Tips, things to watch out for, etc.  

He fell at work April 6th.  They treated it like a sprain.  After four weeks of hobbling around on crutches they sent him for a MRI.  MRI results came back and they referred him to an ortho.  Met with ortho, got a boot, compression sock and an ankle brace.  Went back a week later and ortho sent him for a CT Scan.  Week later got results and were referred to a surgeon.  Surgeon now says that injury is too bad to perform a normal "plates and screws/pins" type of surgery he needs fusion surgery. 

Tomorrow will be 7 weeks.

They are hoping to operate next week.

Any advice?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Christine,

I am 14 weeks post op from lisfranc fusion surgery. My fall was 14 years ago and was treated as a sprain...it was arthritic and unstable in the end so I had surgery. The greatest resource I have found is The Lisfranc Fracture Club on Facebook. There are 4.500 members worldwide! After my op, I though I would never stand again. However, I am now in trainers and walking with crutches. Sounds like your husband has good care. Wishing you both well.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing.  Sounds like you are on the road to recovery!  I wish you the best.  Is there anything that has helped you up until now?  Equipment and so on?
    • Posted

Hi Christine, Here is some equipment and ideas for healing...Google the products as you are not allowed to place links on these messages.

I used the i-walk 2 hands free crutch for the kitchen etc and jobs...

I elevated the foot most of the time whenever I could above heart level and I still elevate at 15 weeks

I used a deep oscillation therapy divice from physiopod uk on the orthopedic hardware setting. Some private physios give this treatment.

I did gentle stretching as soon as I was out of cast

I iced and elevated whenever there was pain

I have osteopathy on the foot

I took supplements to promote bone healing

I massaged the foot daily as soon as it came out of cast to reduce swelling, pain and increase mobility.

I keep a very positive mental attitude

I have taken advice and treatment from NHS physios as well

I still use crutches with shoes for outdoor walks

I wear a custom orthotic or arch support orthotic in my shoes

I use the lisfranc fracture club on facebook for help and support.

All the very best.

• Posted

Wish I could help. Think Dr's take path of least resistance. Due for rexray two weeks, will ask more questions in light of his injury. Sine I am 68 I don't heal like I used to. Fingers crossed for him.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.