Lisinopril side effects

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I've been taking Lisinopril for a few months in varying strengths to help reduce HBP.  Started on 2.5 mg, then 5 mg, then 7.5mg.  BP is now 'normal' and I'm reducing the dosage as I do not want to be permanently on medication.  Medication reduced to 5mg and now 2.5 mg.  

Since taking only 2.5 mg of Lisinopril, I seem to be suffering side effects.  I feel tired and lacking in energy, my balance doesn't seem right, I have mild tinnitus, yesterday I felt very depressed.  Overall, I feel odd/strange and not my normal self.

On the plus side, the dry cough has almost disappeared.

I didn't get so many side effects on 5 mg.

So, could it be that it is a 'withdrawal' phase?

Has anyone else had 'odd' feels, and feeling totally 'out of sorts'?

Thanks.    

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

You are actually just experiencing some of the known side effects of Lisinopril.  You and your doctor can determine if the benefits outway the side effects.

My mother uses eggplant juice to deal with her HBP.  There are no side effects other than lowered blood pressure and more energy.  She is 88 and I can hardly keep up with her.

Here are the listed side effects of Lisinopril.

More common

Blurred vision

cloudy urine

confusion

decrease in urine output or decrease in urine-concentrating ability

dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position

sweating

unusual tiredness or weaknessLess commonAbdominal or stomach pain

body aches or pain

chest pain

chills

common cold

cough

diarrhea

difficulty breathing

ear congestion

fever

headache

loss of voice

nasal congestion

nausea

runny nose

sneezing

sore throat

vomiting

Rare:

Arm, back, or jaw pain

chest discomfort, tightness, or heaviness

fast or irregular heartbeat

general feeling of discomfort or illness

joint pain

loss of appetite

muscle aches and pains

shivering

trouble sleeping

Less common

Decreased interest in sexual intercourse

inability to have or keep an erection

lack or loss of strength

loss in sexual ability, desire, drive, or performance

rashRareAcid or sour stomach

belching

burning, crawling, itching, numbness, prickling, "pins and needles", or tingling feelings

feeling of constant movement of self or surroundings

heartburn

indigestion

muscle cramps

sensation of spinning

stomach discomfort or upset

swelling

• Posted

How does your Mother take her eggplant?

I dont think there's any juice in them . they're just like blotting paper

all those side effects in meds, never felt anything was wrong without them. is it worth the risk...or is HBP really that important. .I am feeling like sh*t today on ramapril 2.5

• Posted

I have some of these side effects, but not most of them.  The worst seems to be the 'muzzy'/'wooly' feeling in my head, and constant low level background tinnitus.  Also ear congestion.

Interesting that most of the side effects seem to be related to my head, ears, nose etc.  Perhaps the medication is opening up the blood vessels too much in my head?  

• Posted

More importantly how is your bp and are you self medicating or is your Dr agreeing to lowering your meds.

If your bp is staying where it is meant to be then great, if not you maybe feel a bit strange because it's rising again, I hope not.

• Posted

My BP is now OK, averaging around 120/68.  Yes, GP and I are reviewing my medication every 4 weeks - hence gradually lowering the dosage.  BP has stayed low at 2.5 mg. I also regularly monitor my own BP - I purchased a good BP monitor machine.

I originally started on Amolodipine, but discontinued after 4 weeks owing to swollen ankles.  

• Posted

I experienced the same effects when coming off Amlodipine. 
    • Posted

If you came off amlodipine what are you on now and does your new meds have side effects
    • Posted

Not taking any. Doctor did 24 hr monitor and says I am borderline. So I am having a break.
    • Posted

Interesting that you are off meds with the drs blessing. Not often you hear that. Can I ask  when you were diagnosed and how high the BP was at the time, and also what does 'borderline' mean ?

I'd love to come off meds, I take the lowest dose of Losartan having had that reduced from the second lowest about a year ago with no real difference in average readings. Now I can't help but wonder whether my averages of <125 2=""> would be classed as borderline or not. I have mine checked every  months and the next check is September.

• Posted

Thanks to all for the helpful comments and replies.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.