Lithium oral and dehydration is it normal?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi, so after a two month manic episode followed by a two month depressive episode i was started on 400mg of lithium. I'm now on 1200mg of lithium. I have been on lithium since the starting dose of 400mg for around three months now. I have been on 1200mg of lithium for around two months now.

At first i was slightly dehydrated all the time.

Now im only dehydrated 1-3 hours after taking lithium (i take it at night). It feels like moderate-severe dehydration. I just want to drink everything in sight and cant stomach food while im that dehydrated.

I take my lithium around 8:30pm.

Is this dehydration normal? Will it go away?

I have no other notable side effects and dont want to stop lithium becauase its the best thing ive been on, ever.

i get my blood checked and its in the therapeutic range

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

just to add i probably drink at least 3 litres of fluids per day - ive recently drastically reduced my caffeine intake - and the salt i sometimes use is lo-salt

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.