Liver or pancreas pain?? How to know??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey. just joined this forum. I am 50 years old and i over indulged in alcohol for the past 10-12 years. 4 years ago started having a full feeling and mild aches under my right rib. i have had blood lab work done multiple times a year by my primary care provider and a GI, all in normal range except a few points over in glucose a some tests. A1-c always normal. i have had abdominal ultrasounds and CT scans, all say organs normal size with no abnormalities. so unfortunately I did not heed the warning‘s and continued to drink. Four months ago I had two G.I. bouts with bad diarrhea, no vomiting and no severe pain but mild epigastric pain in chest abdomen and back. Test run again and all clear except my AST was one point over and glucose was a few points over. GI ordered stool test which were also normal and a hidascan which showed a low functioning GB which has now been removed. 4 weeks out from laparoscopic surgery, and I am still having upper right quadrant pain that can even be sore to the touch, lower back pain, stools that range from Loose to a tad constipated, and sometimes a normal brown color and sometimes more light and pale. Never oily. I have lost a total of 12 pounds in 4 months. i stopped all alcoho( nothing in 4 months and never drinking again) and i have always eaten pretty healthy. i have never been over weight and now i'm under weight. i am 5-5ft and only weigh 113.

so now my question in how do i uncover what is going on is it liver damage, pancreas damage or both that caused my bad GI bout and keeps me with pain in my right upper quadrant and lower back ? i feel that i have done some damage along the way, but with no labs or scans throwing red flags my primary care and gi dont feel anything else needs to be done at this time. my pcp said she will continue to do routine bloodwork and moniter things that way.

my ultimate fear is chronic pancreatitis or cirrhosis.

anyone here with similar history? any suggestions on how to get more answers. i am taking the best care of my body that i can now ( other than anxiety and horrible guilt). whatever i have done to myself i just want to know what it is so i can deal with it and give myself the best chance at helping my body.

sorry for the long message! appreciate any insight!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Jacqulelyn. how are you getting on. I'm new on here, Just read your post and just thought I would find out how you were. 1 year ago I was told I had a very fatty liver. I've lost three stone in weight and have now developed upper right quadrant ache. I have another ultrasound after christmas to see if there is any change in my liver.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.