Liver pain/upper qruadrant

Posted , 6 users are following.

So, a couple of week so go I founds myself in absolute agony in my 'right upper qruadrant' area, under my rib cages, I phoned 111 as the pain was progressing and sending a shooting pain into my right shoulder, they then suggested that I take myself to A & E. I couldn't lie on my front, back, side or anything as it was causing excruciating pain in my right side. While being in hospital for a total of 5 days I had numerous tests completed. Blood tests which showed a raise in my liver enzymes (I have non-alcoholic fatty liver disease so this was no surprise to me really). Ultrasound showed some free standing fluid around my liver and kidneys, and the Ct scan showed some tissue around my ovaries, the gyno came to see me and he couldn't link it up so just put it down as a coincidence. 2 weeks later, and 3 visits to the doctors they have said that they think it's an inflammation of the liver capsule and it will go down on its own. I am taking codeine, tramadol, buscopan & gastro resistant capsules. The pain killers do not take the pain away whatsoever but I have found the pain almost transferring itself? Sometimes it is under my right rib cage, other times it is in my lower back and a lot in my right hip. Still also getting the pain in my shoulder It also depends on my sleeping position as to how much pain I wake up with in the morning. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with this and if it has been resolved?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Pancreas/gallbladder problem. Biliary colic/cholecystitis.

I am not a doctor.

• Posted

No issues were shown with my pancreas/gallbladder/appendix etc
    • Posted

Without wishing to sound sarcastic, there is obviously nothing wrong with you then. But you think different and I think you are probably right. I had an ultrasound last month that picked up gallstones that the last one hadn't, the radiologist thought that it had been missed last time, not that it was was new since my previous ultrasound.

Google 'right upper quadrant pain radiating to shoulder'

and 'upper right quadrant pain and shoulder pain'

They each get slightly different responses.

The first search response even says 'Right Upper Quadrant Pain and a Normal Abdominal Ultrasound'.

But, we'll wait and see what other answers you get.

I've had over two years of being in and out of hospitals and I've learnt to listen to my body and to learn up on the subject of what ever it is that may be affecting me. I am not a hypercondriac, I prefer to stay away from hospitals and GPs as much as possible, but sometimes that is not possible.

• Posted

My partner who has cirrosis has pain in his lower back, right shoulder an right hip on a regular basis but at different times. So yes it seems like it's transferring from one area to another. We only found out just less than a year ago so it's all new to me an him, although he doesn't take as much interest in his situation. I find it uncanny that the shoulder an hip pain are the same, the lower back I understand but how the rest is connected I am unsure. I will look into it an hopefully I wil find an answer for us both.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.