living with iih

Posted , 8 users are following.

good morning. i have been on acetazolamide 1000mg for 5 months now , having regular checks and lumbar punctures under my local neurologist. my pressure was ok last time i had lumbar puncture 21. im suffering still everyday throbbing headaches ,blurred vision , generally unwell , tired , feeling sick ,the headaches are SO bad when they are bad 😦 yesterday i seen a neuro opthamologist who has started me on a tablet called topomax said it might help with headaches aswell as pressure , last time i was at the eye hospital they said i had grade 1 papilodema , he said yesterday it hasnt got any worse which is good news and its not affecting my sight (even though my eyes feel like theyre suffering on a daily basis) 😦 whats anyone elses experiences with this awful disease and does anybody take topamax (topirimate) ? if so did it help you? thankyou for reading x

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

hi, im newly diagnosed ive only had iih and severe Papilledema for about 3-4 months now. its been a nightmare. the lumbar puncture had left me with long term back and neck pain. im currently on 500mg of acetazolamide. sometimes i feel okay and other times id rather pluck my eyes out than deal with the pain. my neurologist has no idea what to do and cant answer any of my questions because hes never seen a case of iih before. i keep getting told to lose weight and cut a lot of things out of my diet, like salt, but no one will tell me how or what to actually do. ive lost about 10 pounds and nothing changed. it definitely feels like a hopeless situation huh? youre not alone hun its awful but we'll find a way out. i'll share any and all new information i get in case it might help.

• Posted

its awful isnt it , thats all ive been told just loose weight. some days are good others are bad but i think im just learning to adjust and live like this now. how is your vision? what symptoms do you get with your eyes ? im due to see my neuro-ophthamologist this week, thankyou for your reply xxxx

• Posted

im trying to adjust but its difficult. some days i dont have any issues and others days i have terrible migraines. my vision kind of goes back and forth, sometimes the medication helps and sometimes my vision is blurry and sensitive and everything seems entirely too bright. its really a coin toss i never know how im going to feel when i wake up in the morning. ive tried telling my neurologist all this and he just nods at me in silence and doesnt offer any advice or answers. how is your neurologist? do they know anything about the condition?

• Posted

ive been like this since last april now so its a case of just having to carry on and learning to live like this not knowing how im gunna feel tomorrow. The acetazolamide didnt agree with me they put me on topiramate in decemeber and i dont have that many side affects from that .my neurologist is the same to be honest !! its very frustrating . i feel my eye sight is worsening i constantly follow black dots in my eyes they are there constantly now they dont go away i always have to blink twice ? Have you wxperienced anything like this? x

• Posted

my eye sight definitely isnt getting better. sometimes i see clearly and then my eyes will randomly start to hurt and i see spots and everythings blurry for days at a time.the light sensitivity is always really bad though. my neurologist ordered an MRA and a few different blood test, so we'll see how that goes.

• Posted

Hi Charlotte

Im interested to know if your symptoms have improved with the new tablets. ive recently had a spinal tap to reduce the pressure and theyve put me on acetazolomide which is making me feel horrendous, particularly with the blurred vision.

also been told to lose weight which is easier said than done when youre bed bound with migraines!!

• Posted

hi! i think im just learning to cope to be honest. ive switched from acetazolomide to topiramate and they definatley suit me better as with acetazolomide i suffered badly with sickness and side effects. what was your pressure? when i have lumbar puctures they definatley help! yes loosing weight is easier said than done when the simple daily living seems like such a chore! i was off work for a year when i was first diagnosed because i was that poorley. hope things get better for you soon xx

• Posted

I am newly diagnosed with IIH without vision loss. My opening pressure was 28. i was prescribed topiramate but i have not noticed any improvement yet. Still titrating up my dose. I get some side effects from it like bad taste in my mouth, lack of appetite, tingling. Still having terrible headaches. I have been out of work for two months, but i also have mono at the same time. I have horrible dizziness, nausea, fatigue. I tried diamox but couldn't handle the side effects. I have lost 25 pounds since I got sick, but no improvement in symptoms.

• Posted

hi I suffer with chronic IIH and papilladima, I've been on 500mg azetazolomide for over a year now and recently been put on toperamate 100mg, my eyesight is very bad, I am light sensitive, I have headaches daily sometimes migraines sometimes niggily but always there, I've had 1 lumber puncture since being diagnosed a year ago and thatabdie to having a bad experience, the doctor didnt know what she was doing, kept inserting the needle in and out I was screening out in pain, its left me with back pain and neck and shoulder pain, I have memory loss which is upsetting as I've spent so much money learning how to drive but now I know why I havent been able to learn properly, I've also been told I wont be able to drive anyway. I'm finding it hard living with this illness especially as people around me dont understand it, I fell drained a lot and the smallest of tasks feel big, how do u all deal with it on a daily basis? I'm at my wits end, just want to feel normal, all I've been told is to lose weight, but I eat healthy, all I ever drink is water I dknt like alcohol anyway, I've lost 2 stone since the start of the new year i exercise regularly even though it drains the hell out of me and whilst doing it I feel like I'm going to pass out and my brain rattles the entire time, doctors dont understand IIH neurologists dont really understand it so how are we ment to? x

• Posted

so sorry, i have the same..i guess we cope.. the doctor dont know, I don't know.

I try breathe exercise..some days work.. some..nah.

as for the pills, i take diamox 1500mg and topirimate aswell...some days ok. After

tap, it went to hell for me, alot of pain daily.

best of luck.

• Posted

hi I've been diagnosed with IIH for a year and a half now, I've been on azetazolomide 500mg since diagnosed and topomax 100mg for a couple of months, I've done a lot of research on the medication as I am on other medication aswell so I wanted to make sure i would be ok, azetazolomide is for the pressure, it slows down the ch fluid buildup around the brain which will help the pressure, topomax is for the headaches and can also help with weight loss, I was told this with both medications from my neurologist and on doing not own research also confirmed this, so I'm unsure why you were told topomax would help with pressure, as azetazolomide is designed to slow down the ch fluid build up around the brain which causes the pressure not topomax, if you are unsure do some research of your own, as most doctors dont understand IIH themselves they dont fully understand exactly what the medications do just the basics, also speak to your neurologist of you are unsure about anything, ask questions and tell them what you have found on your own research, as your pressure was ok on LP they may not put you on azetazolomide at the moment as they normally only put people on this if their opening pressure is high on LP, but again speak to your neurologist I am not a doctor I am just speaking from experience and research ive done from being on the medications myself x

• Posted

csf 23 was diagnosed this year, but have had icp for more than 4 years. Have been treated for the last 4 years by my reg. doctor with diamox 1500 mg and topirimate 25mg.

have burning headaches, nauseous, dizzy ...its not fun. plus a toddler. I've lost more than 40 pounds. I'm still battling all thee above. I know ...it might get better....somewhere over the rainbow. This helps me, some days. Oh, and I fired my neurologist, after spinal tap...was a butcher.

• Posted

Hi ive been recently diagnosed with IIH ive had 1 lumber puncture at 40 which im told is very high. I was initially given acetazolamide 500mg which has now been raised to 1000mg as my constant headaches and wooshing noises in my ears haven't changed at all. I've been told all i can do is lose weight, which I'm trying to do but finding difficult as i also suffer with under active thyroid. Any one else still suffering with headache and wooshing noises whilst taking medication. Any guidance welcome as this is all new to me. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.