Long term antibiotics?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone tried here long term use of antibiotics for reactive arthritis? I heard that might be helpful for many people with rea. There are also studies related to chlamydia induced reactive arthritis.

I just want if any of you tried this treatment and if so can you share your experience when on antibiotics.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes...

My son had long term antibiotics which worked initially but unfortunately he had a chronic tissue infection in his tonsils so the benefit was short lived and the antibiotics couldnt get rid of the infection . However I have heard of others where it has reduced the frequency of RA flares.

I guess the effectiveness of this treatment depends on where the bacteria is and whether the bacteria in question is sensitive to the antibiotics prescribed. It is important to check sensitivity of the bacteria otherwise you are taking antibiotics for no reason. This is especially relevant if you are allergic to penecillin (a broad spectrum antibiotic) as other antibiotics have a smaller spectrum.

Having checked the above I would say it is worth a try. Effectiveness is case dependent.

good luck!

• Posted

The question is some of us don't know the triggering agent cause to rea. It would be experimental for people like me here. So we don't know the proper abx and dosage neither the bacteria.

Still it is a worth to try that most used doxy cipro and others may have an positive effect.

• Posted

Hi Jack. I was recently diagnosed with either Reactive Arthritis or Ankylosing Spondylitis following around 9 months of problems (stomach problems going back around six months before that too). One of the big issues I have is with my eyes. I have constant foreign body sensation and they are extremely bloodshot 24/7. As a result of this, my eye doctor has prescribed doxycycline to see if it will help the glands in my eyes produce more oils ( a few are clogged and it's an alternative use of tetracyclines). I've been taking the antibiotics for just under two weeks, with a view to taking them for a minimum of three months or longer if they provide relief. Because I knew about antibiotic treatments for various forms of arthritis, including reactive and Lyme before starting, I've been keeping an eye out for how my joints feel. It's early days, and i'll keep you posted. Currently, the joint pain has flared fairly significantly since I started, and the crepitus and joint cracking/grinding has been crazy. I'm trying not to get disheartened as it's possible that it could be a herxheimer reaction of some sort. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the doxycycline helps all of my symptoms. I shall let you know how I get on.

• Posted

Hi jaydroid

I am very pleased that someone took that way. All the experiences of the people with rea are of paramount value and gives us hope. We have got limited options and it is a diversity for those who are not aware of abx. Do not get disheartened please. As I read from other forums end websites it might take a long time for abx treatment to really work. You are right that abx can also be used for lyme etc. Doxy is also used for conjunctivitis caused by chlamydia.

I can advise you to get blood tests regularly. Check you liver enzymes coz the use of abx. I do not know that you ve been using any other drugs like immunosuppressants or nsaids. If so it is a must.

Also another advise is to replace good bacteria that abx might kill with the use of acidophilus prebiotics. Although I am not certain that can be used together. Just have a look at it too.

Do you know the triggering agent? Salmonella , shigella? You said you had stomach problems. Did they make a stool culture? Do you have hlab27 gene too?

I only use nsaids now . My hip is really bad and as a result I am on the verge of using tnf alpha.

Good luck hope this doxy do the trick for you.

Keep me informed about your situation.

• Posted

Hi jay...how is it going with antibiotics teretment...I hop u are doing good.
  • Posted

hello in reply to your question from my understanding of Rieters ( reactive  arthritis  if the orginal infection as due to a chamydia infection that prolonged treatment with antibiotics may reduce the duration of the symptoms in mt case it helps when my rieters is activated l take three BP medications taking the antibiotics lowers my BP as the virus is alwys in my blood stream sometime its activates its self, note from what l have learn Rietiers syndrome is not contagious however the bacteria that can trigger it can be passed from one person to another although not all people infected with the bacteria will develope rieters syndrome. although in my lifetime not knowing it l have effected female friends now that l understand more of this condistion they developed arthritis and the lack of energy that goes wth this virus they did get better in time one person di devlope an HP realted problem but it went away al this information l have learn by myself as some doctors here in Canada think l am nuts when I share with them the night fever the lack of energy and all the other problems that are created due to rieters l we here in Canada are light years behine the UK in this field od study some doctors l share with the great treatment in the UK that doctors at least listen to what the patent is telling them with an open mind. l will share this thank God for the web site as there is nothing like this in Canada to assit a person who has rieters . Blessing to all of us who live with this virus and l hope someday the medical professional will be there for everyone again here in Canada as doctors don't want to listen as they don't understand l spend and hour with a doctor last week she didn't understand .... so l keep trying to find a doctor who wuill listen. cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.