long term brochiectasis with haemophilus influenza growth

Posted , 7 users are following.

Would love to talk with anyone who has experienced this problem with this invasive bug. The medical profession dont seem to be able to treat this other than long term antibiotics which in my case leads to shingles.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi I was diagnosed with bronchiectasis last year and since then I have learned that Haemophilus influenzae keep growing in my sputum. I have just finished another course of amoxicillin, they only give me a week's

supply though. I think I should be on long term antibiotics too but my Consultant is reluctant to do that just yet. I go back to see him in September and will ask him to prescribe a long term one for me. Sorry to hear that

leads to shingles for you, can't be very nice on top of your lung problem. Its a pretty crappy disease, its

starting to depress me. I wish there was some sort of self help or diet or something which would alleviate the sputum. I spend all day coughing into a hanky, its gross.

• Posted

Hi Lindy54, Thanks for your reply. Amoxicillin is very good at killing this bug but I am allergic to penicillin so cant take it. I always have three courses of different antibiotics over three weeks but then the shingles happen so thats not good either. A good respiritory physio will help, if you do the deep breathing exercises daily.

also I take mucodyne to loosen the phlegm which is very good. Try and stay away from long term antibiotics, they weaken your immune system and then you cant cope with fighting off any other infections which come your way. Keep coughing and getting it off your lungs - not pleasant but...... Regards.

• Posted

Hi tylee Thanks for your advice about not going onto long term antibiotics, I see your point. I am taking

mucodyne capsules and find these really good. I just get really tired, the constant coughing is very wearing. I must admit I havent stuck at the breathing exercises and will make more of an effort.

Regards Linda

• Posted

Hi Linda,

I have bronchiectasis too. I go to a pulmonologist now since I finally got the correct diagnosis after 3 bouts with pneumonia in 2 yrs. Got the pneumonia vaccine last year. Just had an exacerbation last week. Dr put me on 250 mg zithromycin once a day and 875 mg amoxcillin twice a day for 7 days. I felt better the next day. First antibiotics since March. I also take mucinex twice a day & will for rest of my life. It works. 4 times a day if an exacerbation. Haven't had H Flu since March. Took amoxicillin then as well. The mucinex seems to keep it at bay and controls the cough. Culture last week did show up as H Flu. If it should ever get worse I use a nebulizer with albuterol. Also have a Proair respi-click inhaler. Have you tried any of these plus OTC mucinex? And do you have a pulmonologist? If not, get one. They have saved me. I finally feel like I can manage this disease. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Hi- I have just found this website as I sometimes need some support from those who understand! Anyway, I have had bronchiectasis with H influezae for a few years now and have agreed with my consultant that unless I get a severe infection it is better to keep going without antibiotics. I did have a long period on them, but then the bugs developed immunity. I have become better at managing my condition and have honed my breathing and huffing techniques. I have also accepted that I have to clear my lungs at least once a day and try not to resent it too much!

• Posted

Hi Niki 1 I have the same bug as you and have been on 12 Amoxycillin tablets a day for six months now. I

find they have made such a difference. I have only had one infection during this time and it was treated with a 3 day course of Azithromycin. This worked brilliantly. I still cough up a little bit of phlegm every day which only takes me about 10 mins to get rid of. I am due to see consultant again in March and hope he keeps me

on these antibiotics as all the tiredness and depression I had have gone and I feel 100% better.

Take care, Linda

• Posted

I too have had problems with this bug since Feb 13, i have had the condition for a long time, but never had this bug until now, plus Streptococcus Pneumonia at the same time. Have really struggled to get rid of it, 1 week of doxcycline, then 4 weeks of oxytretracycline (1000mg a day) then 2 weeks of co-amoxiclav (`1500mg a day)and now back on doxcyline until next review, before i had this latest infection i seemed to be able to shift the infection within 3/4 days, but not this time. I am not keen on taking the antibiotics, but this time i have had no choice, i felt so ill and was worried about damaging my lungs.

Hopefully you have managed to shift the bug, be good to hear if you have??

• Posted

I have been told i either have asthma or bronchiectasis i dont think they can make their mind up. 

I have had loads of chest infections over the last 3 years and now through a sputum test i have had haemophilus influenza for the last 5 weeks i am on course 6 of antibiotics. (1 of amoxicillan 4 doxycycline and now amoxiclav.) 

I just feel like it will never end. So tired coughing and very emotional. The doctor says next step is hospital admission. Has anyone else been admitted with this?.

I  feel so bad having to be off work so much.

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

I just joined this forum. Please read my recent post to Linda and let me know if any of it is helpful to you. Didn't realize until after I sent it that her post was so old. I hope you are doing better and did not have to go into the hospital. Take care. Janet

• Posted

hi i have also had haemophlius influenza for months and months but ive been clear of it for months now, eventually after a few courses of antibiotics it has went away

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.