Long Time Effexor User

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello All, my name is Deborah, I have been taking 200MG a day for so many years I can't even tell you, atleast,10 years. I'm 64yo. I was disabled in 2001 due to the outcome of Pulmonary Emboli. I have sever Fibermyalgia (diagnosed in 1986), Chronic Pain due to Bone Degeneration, Sleep Apnea, Migrains plus all the things I take Effexor for. I have a hubby who suffers with sever COPD. Four daughters and 10 grandchildren. My quality of life has sunk to the lowest.

I have tried to exclude Effexor over the years. Ya right!

Due to a change in mg tablets I have decided to try again. After all the opportunity presented itself. Here's where I am: Prior I took 100mg Xday

Day 1: 1-100mg in am & 1-75mg bedtime (- 25mg)

Day 2 & 3: Same dosage. Side effects are leg cramps and some dizzines. But with my current health issues it's hard to separate between them and withdrawal.

I have 100mg tabs & 75mg tabs

My plan is to continue prior days dosage at -25mg for another 4 days then drop to 75mg X 2 ( an additional -25)( total deduction of 50mg) for another week.

Depending how well that is I'll drop to 75mg per day for a week or so. Then I think I'll split the last 75mg in two and take 37.5 per week for the last 2 weeks.

I have read to much on the internet about withdrawls. I pray they are easy on me.

I would appreciate any input from all of you.

Thank You 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Seems like you are trying a very aggressive and quick taper from a high dose after 10 years use. does your doctor know of your plan to taper? if not maybe just let he/she know so they can monitor your progress.

I was on effexor 37.5 mg for 5 years and then attempted a 1 year long taper and that didn't fair so well for me towards the very end at 3mg. I got hit with very bad withdrawal symptoms (all parasthesia issues mostly) even after a very long and cautious taper. I had to reinstate to little over full dose again and sadly am still on it waiting to stabilize before I try to taper again.

good luck to you and just be safe.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. At this point I'm taking all info into considerations.

• Posted

There is a fantastic fb page for discontinuation/withdrawal from Venlafaxine/Effexor. I was very fortunate to have found it when I did. I didn't know how to taper and had so many severe symptoms. I was just about to go back to the doctor, knowing full well that he would up the dose again, when I found it and found out that so much of what I was experiencing was from this medicine. Like this forum, it is a great tool to have access to.

• Posted

I too have found a FB page that I like. They have rccommeded a few supplements to help symtoms.

Thank you for your reponse

• Posted

I agree with the other posters; this seems a very rapid discontinuation.

I am approximately your age, took Effexor 15+ years and was on 75mg.  I did a taper of approximately 14 months.  I still had marked withdrawl symptoms, although because it was a fairly slow and deliberate taper I was able to continue to work and push on with my life.  I have now been totally Effexor free for 15 months, do not take any other prescription medications, and still experience symptoms that are related to my long term Effexor use.  Omega 3 and avoiding sugary foods was helpful to me during the process, but please consider a much longer taper than what you are describing.

• Posted

Thank you for your input. Are your continued symptoms bad or worth your discontinuation?
  • Posted

I think you are going about it the right way. Slow decreases in dosage. I was on it for over 4 years at 300 mg per day. It took 4 months of decreasing doses and another 2 months without to start to feel normal again. I suggest that you only do this with the knowledge and guidance of your doctor. He/She may have alternatives to assist that don't have the same downside as effexor. All the best.

• Posted

Thank you for your info. I have a doctors appt friday. I havent decided to tell him. Last time he told me not to. But I want off of this!
  • Posted

i was on 150mg modified release for 5 yrs went cold turkey 150 to nothing , dont do it !! too agrressive same as yours might be, reduce slowly, withdrawal was bad, flu, insomnia, shocks, panic attack, fluid on lungs, stomach pain like a good kidney punch !! so please slow it down i wanted rid of it it is evil drug for withdrawal even now 6 weeks on i am struggling so please slowly monkey xx vits, omega6, alka seltzer 
  • Posted

Just to give you a parallel - I took 2 years to taper off 150mg upon completion of my therapy. I had to wait a minimum of 3 months from the point where i stabilized on each new dosage and before another cut. I remember one of the cuts took 9 months in total once.

The idea is that first  you wait for any withdrawal complaints to abate and then you maintain same dose for at least 3 months to give brain enough time to rewire to accomodate new chemical conditions...

You can do faster, but from experience (and I attempted ballsy drops myself twice in my 13 years of therapy) that is not the best idea. You must always take your overall health into consideration as well. Really, the taper should be closely monitored by a psychiatrist and GP (both!) in your case.

That said, I wish you to feel better. You have been through a lot!

• Posted

Thank you so much for your kind words ang recommendation. I will try and post updates often.
  • Posted

Everyone seems to have capsuls of Venulfaxine. My pharmacy gives me tablets.

I am under the impression Effexor and Venulfaxine are the same medication. Am I wrong?

• Posted

Yes same medication. I did not know Effexor is still available in tablets above 75mg? Where I am they only exist in 37.5mg. Strange.
  • Posted

OK peeps, you the ones wanting me to taper off this stuff slower. So I decided to stay at this level for another week. decreased by 25MG 1 week ago.  So i:ll let cha  all know

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.