Looking for an answer

Posted , 3 users are following.

I suffered from a small pneumothorax that was sudden a week ago now my problem is wondering what caused it the doctor took numerous X-rays and is it did heal by itself but no blebs we're ruptured and I have no underlining disease and there was no injury he is just as stumped as I am what could have caused this

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Sadly...my daughter has had the same thing. I probably spent 6 months of my life trying to find the answer to the question why and we have never gotten one. She has had two collapses since, but hasn’t had one in almost 3 years. She has learned to live with knowing it could happen again and at the same time not let it hold her back from doing what she enjoys. Sorry I can’t be more helpful. Some people do find that there is an underlying disease that causes it. I guess it’s a good thing if you don’t have that.
  • Posted

Hi josh I am sorry to hear that you have suffered a nuemothorax, I have been through this with my son who is 22 and is 6'2 and of slim build which the doctors at hospital said it happens to young male men between 18 -40 and tall and of slim build  and have a high pallet in mouth,  my son has had his now for 7wks they have aspirated half a litre of air off and it still didn't work so they put a chest drain in with suction hoping this would pull the lung back out but still did not work we go back to the thoracic doctors at the hospital tomorrow to see if they are going to operate.  They called it spontaneous pneumothorax it can just happen for no apparent reason.  My son has suffered from asthma all his life so he is used to not being able to breathe but he still finds it hard not being able to breathe. I hope you have no more collapses 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.