looking for reassurance to go ahead with ovary removal age 39

Posted , 5 users are following.

I know I've had some great advice from people on here regarding the actual op but I'm really worried about having no natural hormones 10 years early. I make mistake of reading medical reports on line about life expectancy and requirement for ovaries even after natural menopause for a healthy future and I'm talking myself out of an op that could help me. Is there anyone that have had ovaries removed early that can let me know if they been told otherwise. My own consultant says its OK but I can'tget these reports out of my head!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello lovely a neighbour and friend of mine had hers removed in her 40s with TAH and she never took HRT. She looks fab she is now in her late 60s early 70s not a wrinkle on her face thick glossy mane. She does have osteoporosis but that can come with age anyway xxx i just said on my TAH if u need to take the ovaries then take them. My consultant just took the fallopian tubes because new research shows thats where ovarian cancer starts, but if she needed to take them i gave her permission. Xx o ly u can decide lovely xxxx
  • Posted

Hi, this is a tough one,  I had my op on the 12th and like you was in a dilemma....I'm 45..... I did read lots of research and what swayed it for me was the NICE ( National Institute of Clinical Excellence), that does advice if the ovaries are normal they should be kept in......go back and talk to your consultant. I'm now pleased I kept mine as I don't know if I could have coped with potential menapausal symptons alongside post op recovery......clearly theirs lots of women who do have to have them removed for medical reasons..if your not one of them then really consider all the issues......good luck x
    • Posted

Hi. Thank you for replying. Its my ovaries causing the endometriosis and have cysts on both and womb. Endometriosis grows on estrogen hence they want to remove ovaries. I asked to see consultant again but he couldn't understand my concerns as said hrt would replace anything lost even when I said that so many articles contradict that. I will have a look at Nice thanks for that smile. Its that same old thing of if people had bad experience or problems they are more likely to be looking on websites and sharing their experiences so am I getting true reflection??? and hopefully there are people out there that have had ovaries removed before menopause without aging 10 years, gaining 3 stone and having heart attack and cancer which is what I'm finding most experiences are saying!!! I will speak to consultant again although I feel bad about wining when he keeps coming back to same thing of they need to go to stop it spreading further. I'm just all over the place and my decision changes by the day lol
  • Posted

Hi I'd love to know what you decided to do . And how you are . I'm faced with the decision to remove mine.

I am having uterus , tubes and cervix removed bc of cervical cancer and I feel like I want to add the ovaries to reduce risk of ovarian cancer .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.