Losartan 50mg, higher blood pressure some days.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm a 28 years old male diagnosed with high blood pressure since I was 18, I've been taking losartan for about 3 months, started with 25mg together with hydrochlorothiazide but I was having some side effects, my doctor put me on losartan 50mg by itself instead, my problem is that there are some days when it doesn't work as good as others, mostly when I'm very stressed or didn't have a good sleep, my question is: can I take a higher dose on those days or should find a different medication?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello will2390

I am 25mg Losartan and  2.5 candersatan.  I am 75 and have been on BP meds since 2001.  For a number of years I was on  Amlodipin, which my dentist discovered was causing bleeding gums.  I am somewhat surprised that you have BP for someone so young.  Has your doctor diagnosed why?  Are any members of your family suffer with it.

I have read on internet that quite a lot of young men suffer with it.  

Best to have regular  consultations with your doctor because they need to find out why and see what he says; he may try to combine it with something else.

• Posted

will2390...I think you answered your own question. You said the the meds don't work on some days as good as other, mostly when you're stressed. Stress causes bp to rise..that's a fact. Lack of sleep can do it as well. I'm not a doctor, but I'm a little surprised your doctor took you off the Hydrochlorothiazide. Your Losartan was increased from 25mg to 50mg. Sometimes taking a med away can cause a rise in bp. 

DO NOT take an increased dose without consulting your doctor. 

• Posted

Deal with your stress and sleep problem and your BP will go down. I sleep badly and my BP is always high in the morning but goes down as the day goes on. At one time I was on three BP meds that took me down to dangerous lows. Now I only take a 25mg losartan if it stays really high. This morning at 9am it was 170/101. Now just before midnight it is 122/86. The other lunch time it was 97/57 after taking a 25mg Losartan when it was 184/104 after a bad nights sleep.
    • Posted

derek76...did I understand you correctly when you sated "now I only take a 25mg Losartan if it stays really high"? Are you not taking the med on a regular basis apart from a high reading??? Truly buddy, this should never be done.

• Posted

I see the consultant at a hypertension centre and that is his advice. I probably take a Losartan about four times a month.
    • Posted

I won't challenge a medical person, but I've never ever heard of that practice. One either takes bp meds or they don't. 

• Posted

As I have said in various posts in this Forum over time his opinion is that I am not truly hypertensive and just have peaks. That is why all six or so meds I had gave me more than normal side effects. He has studied me for around four years and done all types of tests including Kidney and brain MRI scans
  • Posted

Its weird you say that. Its strange that you take the medication and take the same dosage but your solution from medication is varied. I think it has something to do with circumstances, or perhaps other illnesses or things your facing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.