Losartan and Atenolol

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi My age is 41, weight is 85 KG and height is 1.7 meters. At the beginning of this year I started feeling slight dizziness and shortness of breath. I latter found out that my blood pressure was on the high side averaging 140/90. I tried to exercise this pressure down, healthy eating, no salt, but problem is that sometimes my pressure would spike to levels like 160/110 pulse 140

Before starting Medication I did ESG, ECHO, cholesterol test, x-ray and blood test. Everything was registering normal. 

So I was put on amlodipine 10mg and Propranolol 40mg on 1st July 2016. This helped lower my blood pressure to around 115/68. Only problem is that it made me feel quite tired after little activity like walking. After complaining about this tiredness to the doctor on 22 September 2016, he changed my drugs to 100mg Losartan and 50mg Atenolol which I’m taking to this day.

My blood pressure is now at an average of 117/70 pulse 70 and can get low as 106/65 pulse 57. Once in a while my blood pressure spikes for reasons I can’t really explain, I can have 145/95 as my reading on a bad day.in all this my pulse never goes above 80.

Is anyone taking this combination of drugs, they make me feel tired and a bit out of breath sometimes, wondering how I can reduce these bad side effects?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Mr B 100...Propranolol is a Beta Blocker as is Atenolol. Beta Blockers reduce the heart rate, therefore your pulse is lowered as well. This is normal unless you have other problems affecting the pulse rate. 

While your reading could be 145/95 on a bad day as you ay..don't worry about this. Blood pressure spikes for whatever reason(s). The time to be concerned is when it's elevated & stays that way. 

• Posted

Regarding beta blockers.  I do remember my son in law taking them, possibly he still does, but after taking them for just a short time he went off on a long walking weekend, he was horrified when he was unable to reach the top of the fells [Yorkshire Dales/Lake District]. He just couldn't get to the top.   Always such a fit chap he hadn't realised that the beta blocker was responsible.  I don't know if he still takes them but I do  know he takes a full cocktail of meds as his hypertension was initially difficult to control. 

• Posted

Hi jane243..I believe you are quite correct. Beta Blockers slow the heart rate, which is why whenever anyone is having a stress test, they are not to take their medications beforehand simply because the Beta Blockers will not allow the heart to go beyond a certain point. 
  • Posted

Yes, Mr B 200, I'm another for whom Beta Blockers (Atenolol, Bisoprolol) reduced the heart rate, thus slowed the metabolism and my energy levels dipped.

?Like you, I'm taking 100mg of Losartan Potassium daily, just having increased it from the 50mg dose, which incidentally did nothing!  Am taking half am and half pm, but haven't yet taken my blood pressure to see if there's any improvement.

?It sounds as though you are doing well on your present cocktail of drugs - like the others, I'm sure you have no need to feel too concerned about the very occasional spikes.  Hope all continues to go well.

• Posted

Thanks Surrey, please update have you checked your blood prssure now and how do you feel?
    • Posted

I'm afraid I haven't braved it yet.  I feel fine, thank you, but then I always do.....until I get side effects from one BP pill or another - apart from Losartan, thus far on 100mg, that is!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.