Lose of sense of smell

Posted , 3 users are following.

Was in a bad accident over 5 years ago, explosion, head trauma. Suffered complete lose of sense of smell. Anyone else have a similar experience? Suggested therapy?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I understand what it's like. It's like experiencing the world through plexiglass. Very tough.

I have asked doctors and read extensively and have to say that there is no proven therapy that I can find. My own experience is that doctors don't really care or understand.

5th sense is a group for anosmia that may provide some support. Personally I found that group to be more rah-rah than useful.

• Posted

Turns out that today is Anosmia Awareness Day! Might be worth a browse of the fifthsense.org.uk website to see if you pick up anything useful, and I think you could also try emailing them for advice... a shame they weren't helpful for m1988 but perhaps still worth a go. I can well believe that many doctors don't understand or seem to care, so let's hope Fifth Sense's campaigns might help to change that, if nothing else. Good luck - I hope you find some support as I can only imagine how difficult it must be.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.