Losing weight and height!

Posted , 9 users are following.

My doctor won't do my total hip replacement until I'm down to a certain weight. I'm working out three times a week and eating good trying to lose the weight. I have a terrible limp and I walk with a cane. My bad leg is shorter than my good leg. I've gone from 5'8" to 5'6". Has anyone else gone through this? I have an appointment for a second opinion but my doctor is supposedly the best and me losing weight will lessen the risk for infection etc. any thoughts would be appreciated!

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I'm 5'2 and overweight for my height, 5 weeks post op, my consultant never made my weight an issue I think because I was in so much pain, maybe being lighter and fitter must help in the recovery process for getting yourself around and in out of bed etc but I have managed so far without any major problems. Good luck on your journey
  • Posted

They wouldnt give me the surgery because I was TOO fit and healthy even tho I was almost crippled.I had lost pretty much everything in my life and almost my job too boot!! Their logic is mental.
  • Posted

I know my weight made the procedure longer and harder for my surgeon, but he did not require me to lose anything prior to surgery. I'm 5'5" 200lb. My weight is pretty evenly distributed, but he did imply my body type made it difficult. I do know that weight and belly fat can be any issue if it hangs over the top of the incision and rubs on it. I kinda get why they would want a patient to lose weight, but I think it depends on the circumstances. It's hard though because we're in pain and exercising is difficult. Water activities seem to be the least painful for many.

I hope you don't have too much to lose. Best wishes to you. I hope you find the same relief that I have once it's over with 😉

• Posted

I think we all shrink with age - I know I have lost an inch in height since my prime. And according to the BMI chart I am technically "obese" (6'3" and 18.5 stone for those who want details) but the surgeon did not even mention it.

I agree with Jennisfer that doing water exercises may be the way forward - the local sports centres usually do water aerobics and such. That would take the pressure off your joints.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Michael 

• Posted

Yes,I have been through this - I was 6ft 4ins, and had shrunk to 6ft 2ins, I accidentally found that a low carb diet suited me, and startedlosing weight slowly, all under the watchful gaze of my surgery nurse.  She had me fully checked out, cholesterol, blood sugars, liver function etc.

After 18 months - yes, it takes a long time - of taking salad to work instead of cheese sandwiches and pies, I had lost 5 stone(70 pounds), and shereferred me back to my doctor, who gave me the Oxford Hip Test, and referred me to a consultant for surgery.

I think the key is finding something that works for you.  I had to re-train my wife into gradually giving me smaller portions, and far less potatoes/pasta/bread.

It is hard work, and you should expect to 'lapse' occasionally, as longas it is occasional, and not every week. we love Fish & Chips for instance, and I would allow myself a 'kiddies' portion of chips and a small fish once a month.

Beer, and any fizzy drink is also very bad (even zero calorie drink) - I am told that the gas inflates your stomach, so I changed to spirits or a small glass of wine (moderate amounts as booze has calories too).  

You will also need all the high fibre intake you can get as you may tend to get 'bunged up' - I opted for high fibre cerials.

Watch those yoghurts - low fat does not equal low calorie, so check the calorie counts on things.  A weight watching yogurt can be as low as 50-55 calories per pot, whereas a low fat one can be over 125 calories (or those new kcal things).

I must add this to my website.

Hope this helps.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Oh yes, and my nurse was so pleased, my cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar levels, which had been 'good' came out as 'excellent' following the weight loss. She explained that they contribute to a faster recovery from the trauma of the operation.  
  • Posted

I'm now in my 3rd week post op. In all I've lost 41/2 in in height. I was 5' 2" and am now 4'91/2". I'll soon be disappearing. According to my bmi I'm obese at 9st but they still carried out the op. I would like to loose some weight but keep giving it up as a bad job. I'm 70 this year and don't think I can eat much les but I do like an occasional drink. So what!
  • Posted

Hi Lizard

Greeting from Exeter....

Now almost recovered, I do rather agree that loosing weight and improving your fitness/diet in general is a good thing for both successful operating and well being.

All I would add is that my PT in the gym is very keen on drinking at least two litres of water a day to aid the process. Worth thinking about?

Good luck!

Mic

• Posted

Hi mic

im 3 weeks post op. I like drinking water, plus other things. When I was in hospital my sodium level was low so they restricted my intake of fluids to 

1 1/2 litres of fluids a day. This included anything else I drank including water.

• Posted

Hi Brenda,

Interesting, as you are exceptional!

My PT said if most people could manage 1.5 Litres a day he would be happy!!

so i guess it's all in moderation, but as I said for some folk exercise and slimming world food without at least a litre a day of still or sparkling water cuts the effect of both...

Have anice evening

mic

x

• Posted

Hi lizard

yes I shrank from 5'10" to 5'8" I told them I was 5'10 and even had an argument over it till I said look back in my records before my hips were shot. They said oh yeah your right. So just make sure that they put you back at your correct height not the one you at now. Tell them you are 5'8" and stick to your guns. 👍

• Posted

Hello Lizard , 

Tough ... are you getting any help? Weight Watchers or dietitian ? 

I know I am overweight - gained weight pre-op (mobility issues and pain) and post-op and in between ops - 

I live in Holland and my weight was not even a topic - However, in order to have hardware last longer, I need and want to lose weight .

My right leg was 2 cm shorter pre-op but was corrected after surgery -  It is the bad posture and walking ... well, you know that already...

good luck - 

I am sure your surgeon knows what is best for you - If I would have been told by my surgeon that I needed to lose weight before surgery because of certain risks, I would listen - 

So,  were you told you are at a higher risk for infection ? and what is the "etc." 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Actually met the surgeon one time when he told me I was 5'6" and not 5'8" and tacked on more weight to lose....the pain mgmt PA I see said risk of infection, easier healing, heart, and I hear he is the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.