Losing weight while reducing Prednisilone

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hiya all. Well I saw my Rheumy today and I had excellent news. My CRP is only 3 so normal really isn't it. He has said I can reduce from 20mg now to 15mg, then in a month reduce to 10mg as long as I stay symptom free. I go back to clinic then towards the end of May. I was on 60mg when diagnosed with GCA last Oct until Dec then reduced to 50mg. I have been reducing by 10mg each month since then. Thankfully I have been fine, with no return of the horrible symptoms of GSA. I still have some weakness in my thighs through the Preds and the weight gain has got me down, but I realise that you just have to persevere with them. My Rheumy said though that any hint of the symptoms returning and I have to up my dosage and get in touch with him straight away. Which I obviously would do as I don't want to go back to where I was with the risk of losing my sight!! What I would like to ask is, have any of you managed to lose weight while on a10 or 15mg dosage? Carrying this extra 2 and half stone is really taking it's toll on my body as I'm only 4ft 10ins. I would be grateful for any advice. I thank you all in advance.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary, I am a newbie so don't have any answers for you.  I have joined slimming world and was talking to the Consultant who takes the class and I asked her about steroids and putting on weight.  It's he increased appetite that puts the weight on and not the pred.  I have put half a stone on.  

• Posted

I don't believe that's quite true.  Yes, your appetite increases and you may put on extra weight because of it, but it is definitely a side effect and it causes a redistribution of weight (fat pads) on higher dosages...sometimes on low dosages.  I have been on it for 3 years and am lucky in that I only gained about 10 lbs.  You can find all the facts on many websites just by searching Prednisone.
  • Posted

Hi Mary J.  Going thru the same thing.  Had Polymyalgia 3 yrs ago, was put on 20 mg., felt great, gained very little and lost the weight easily.  Took a little over a year to get off Pred.  Immediately thereafter I was diagnosed with GCA and put on 40 mg. and felt terrible but didn't gain weight.  Then I had to increase to 60 mg.  Gained about 12 - 15 lbs overnight, and got full-blown moon face.  That has gone away but still have the weight even though I am down to 2 mg. I have been up and down on the dosage.  Since 10 mg. have been dropping 1 mg. a month and find that immediately after each drop, I don't feel so well and get headaches.  Now when that happens, I take an extra Prednisone for just one day and so far that seems to work. I haven't had to go back up recently, but I know that I may have to.  Right now my Dr. wants me to stay on 2mg. for 3 months because last test showed an inflammation.  It is very discouraging.  I just try to accept it and look forward to losing the weight one day.  I've heard that by eliminating salt and carbs you can lose weight while on Pred. but with the cravings you get with Pred., that's very hard to do.  Just know you are not alone and there is hope at the end of the tunnel.  And it is not correct that Prednisone itself does not put on weight.  It does and it redistributes as someone previously mentioned.  You may have also gained weight from overeating due to the hunger Pred. causes and that you wil have to lose on your own, but the Pred. weight should eventually drop off.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.