Lost taste from taking terbinafine

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had been taking terbinafine for just over six week when I lost all taste . I stopped taking it as soon as this happened I'm now 5 weeks of not taking it and still have no taste I have lost over 1 stone in weight everything tastes Disgusting the only things I can taste are mushrooms and oranges but they are still bland even water has a horrible taste has anyone else had this problem any if so how long was it before you got your taste back ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

Yes, I had the same problem a couple years ago and these forums were golden. It took me about 6 weeks to discern salt from sugar. You should be about there. A couple weeks later I was pretty much over it.

• Posted

One of the common side effects of taking strong medicines for prolonged duration is the loss of taste. The sense of taste comes back within a few days or weeks after stopping the intake of medicine. However, dietitians recommend a simple and natural way of boosting the taste buds. Mix three drops of ginger and lemon juice, and add a pinch black salt to it. Apply this mix to the tongue before every meal.

• Posted

hi diana did your taste return? i am currently experiencing this awful side effect from this medication. i have a constant salty/metallic taste in my mouth but when i eat nothing .. no taste. water tastes like salt water and awful dry mouth and post nasal drip. going on two weeks of these symptoms. took meds for 6 weeks and stopped as soon as taste was effected, almost 2 weeks ago.

• Edited

I started taking it about 4 weeks ago. I admittedly (shamefully) took 2 pills a day (am and pm) for maybe 5-7 days. The fingernail damage was getting worse and I was afraid I was going to lose maybe 3 or 4 fingernails. I wanted results. Just this past weekend I started noticing food was just not tasting right, bottled spring water tasted like salt. Sunday I ate a bowl of cereal, it was bad. Monday I started the nausea, couldn't keep anything in. Also dealing with major headaches/migraines, but could be associated to other things, but headaches is a side effect too. For the last 4 days EVERYTHING tastes completely horrible, disgusting!!! Water, any and all food tastes like a nasty sinus infection in the back of my throat or like I'm chewing an aspirin with my water. Utterly horrifying!! I took my last pill 5 days ago only after I googled side effects and saw "taste disturbance". I've already lost 4 pounds in the last 4 days. I have no desire to eat or drink anything. When I saw the statistics of when taste will return, I read 12 weeks, maybe a year, maybe it is permanent. I am freaking out!!!! But finding this forum helped me see that others not only lost taste, but actually experience a foul taste of everything, food and beverages. I would so welcome no taste than everything tasting so sooo bad. I suppose I will mark my calendar for 12 weeks and pray and hope that between now and then it gets better. Even if water could just be water again. 😦 I hope those of you still going through this get your taste back!!!

• Posted

hi Monika and Diana,

just wondering if your taste came back? I'm on week 3 and still nothing....:(

Em

• Posted

Hi Diane just wondering if your taste came back? My husband is now 8 months without taste..thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.