Low cortisol and hypothyroid due to Total Thyroidectomy

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site. Im a 50 yr male who had TT due to large nodules in October 2019. Since then i have struggled with many, many issues. I'm currently taking Tirosint (T4) 112 mcg and Cytomel (T3) 5 mcg (split 2 x day). 24-hour cortisol saliva test revealed low levels all day. essentialy flat. my functional doc prescribed Hydrocortisone 5 mg and suggested i take 1 tab in morning and half in the afternoon. im afraid to take this med given all the reviews and potential side effects. my current symptoms:

brain fog, extreme fatigue specially in the am, very cold hands, low appetite and weight/ muscle loss. any feedback is greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi MrBeeGee. Sorry to hear of your struggles. I too have had a total thyroidectomy, in my 20s and I'm now in my 30s. Had issues with low cortisol too since thyroid removal. When they do the Synacthen test though my cortisol does do what it is supposed to. However, my cortisol is generally sluggish and they don't know why. I have asthma and am on low dose inhaled steroids and also have had years of steroid ointment for psoriasis so it has likely caused the sluggish cortisol.

I think if you have had low cortisol confirmed and they have prescribed you the hydrocortisone then you should take it. If your adrenal glands aren't producing enough then you need to correct that with medication. Just like we have to supply our body with thyroid hormones as our body no longer makes it. If you need it you will likely not have any side effects from the steroid treatment. You can't get steroid replacement from foods or herbal remedies, only the tablets you are prescribed. It is actually dangerous not to treat.

Best of luck with this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.