Low Hemoglobin, B12 & iron

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had really stomach abdominal pains and thought it was my gall bladder. After test came back my Hemoglobin was low, B12 and iron ( I gave blood about 2 months prior to this and my iron level was normal). My Gastrologist DR did a upper EGI (Scope) and found nothing, then did a colonoscopy, found nothing. The next test will be Pill Cam. I had to do injections every day for 7 days and now moved to 1 injection a week and also on iron pills. Does anyone have any suggestions what could be wrong. I am worried that once the Pill Cam test is done, he still might not find out why my levels are done and more and more money will be spent to figure it out.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Rachelle!

Did your doctor send samples for biopsy when s/he performed the endoscopy?  The malabsorption could be due to Coeliac Disease, which can not be seen on endoscopy (studies have been done on this - surgeons can not accurately determine whether or not patients have CD from the scope). My son's Dr. said he looked "Peachy" and told us that doesn't mean he's clear. Sure enough, he had the second-worst level of villus atrophy and indication of infection nearly every place she biopsied! 

I think you can find lots more information in the Pernicious Anaemia sites, but there are some very knowledgeable and helpful people on these boards who can probably tell you more about low B12 and any relation it has to low iron and hemoglobin.

Good Luck!

• Posted

Yes, both test he sent off samples for biopsy and they came back benign. He is trying to figure out whats going on and treat my constipation since i went over 9 days without going and go every 4 days or so. Over the counter medicines are working and he precribed Lactulose and that didnt help and now i started Linzess on Monday and only helped me go once. Between being constipated and issues with my levels its getting frustrating because my doctor isnt finding anything.
    • Posted

Ah, well, I'm happy you don't have CD, but yes that's frustrating not knowing the cause!  The low B12 levels alone can wreak havoc on your digestion, so that's not helping, but could get considerably better when your levels stabilise. 

Please let us know when you find out the pill cam results...!

• Posted

Where your injection of iron and where did you get the b12 and did it help build your blood?
    • Posted

The B12 injections are from the doctor & i got a prescription from my doctor for iron but you can also purchase them over the counter. I havent gone back for lab work yet. He had me originally doing 1 shot a day for 7 days and then I am currently doing 1 shot a week for 4 weeks. I will find out more in about 2-4 weeks once the results come back from the Pill Cam test

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.