Low platelet count and HDL cholesterol

Posted , 3 users are following.

My husband has been feeling somewhat weaker recently. He lost 3 kg (he is mostly on pesco-vegeterian diet). He never smoked and exercises regularly. He turned 40 a few months ago. For over a year he has had from time to time night sweats (we have some problems with temperature regulation in oour room). 

His blood work showed only two bad results: 

platelets - 130 000 (normal being more than 150 000)

HDL cholesterol was low (he's had it for years).

He'll see his doctor again next week; But after googling these problems, I'm really worried. Have you got any ideas? Thanx!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Masha, have you read the info on the Mayo Clinic website?

Has your husband been trying to lose weight, or is that something that has happened out of the blue?

When my husband had a similar result, I don't recall the rest of the blood results from his test, the doctor's surgery telephoned and he had to go to hospital immediately for more tests.  I would hope that if your docotrs suspected anything sinister, your husband would have been called in to see them.

My husband had Leukaemia,  I hope I haven't frightened you more.  

I wish you both well for next week, good luck.

• Posted

Dears MrsMop,

thank you for your reply. I'm sorry to hear for your husband's diagnosis.

I've read a lot of articles and it could be anything... from stronger coagulation that prevents corect platelet counting to leukemia.

He wasn't trying to lose weight as he is already lean. We go swimming and running and watch our diet, but not for weight loss reasons. I have some health issues (PCOS and and autoimmune desease) and that's what influenced our lifestyle change.

Thank you again!

• Posted

I would be interested to know how you get on if you have the time following your visit to the doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.