Low resting heart rate, no other symptoms, not an athlete

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone.

I am a 23 year old female. I have had a smart watch since Christmas and have regularly worn it. I have noticed that my resting heart rate has consistently been around 50-60 bpm. When I leave my watch on overnight, it occasionally drops within the 40s whilst I am sleeping. It does however increase normally with exercise/activity.

I am overweight, and currently weighing 15st 0lbs, but I have been actively loosing weight since the start of this year. My start weight was 16st 8lbs, and I intend to continue loosing weight.

I have a fairly active lifestyle at the moment. I have a part time job (3-4 days a week) where I am on my feet all day and a walk back home (approx. 1 mile uphill). Outside of my job, I am often tidying, walking around supermarkets, etc. I would not consider myself to be unfit, but clearly I am unhealthy if I am overweight.

I haven't been too bothered about my relatively low heart rate as I just assumed it was normal for me. I only began to be worried about this a few days ago as I left my watch on overnight and my bpm dropped to 38. I am not sure if this may be linked, but that night I left my watch on, I had a night out and consumed a fair amount of alcohol. Had I not left my watch on, I would not be worried about this.

I also believe I suffer with anxiety. I say believe because I have not been diagnosed with it, nor have I been to a Doctor about it. Again, I am unsure if this has anything to do with a low heart rate, or I am just letting this whole thing play on my mind too much.

I would like to reiterate that I have not experienced any other symptoms that are relevant to any condition that may have come up in Google searches relating to low heart rate.

Can anyone put my mind at ease, or is this actually really serious and that I need to tell someone.

Thank you 😃

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

i have exactly the same as you although I am 29 year old male and i go to the gym 2-3 times a week but like you i would not class myself anywhere close to an athlete . I am also wondering if i should have a check up with the GP . I work nights and i tend to notice if i get tired and sit down my resting heart rate goes down to the low 50s .

I assume it could be something to do with me being 6 foot 5 and having a bigger heart and i think its really only something to worry about if you are getting dizzy . Also remember heart rate smart watches are not always that accurate .

And to mention on top off that anxiety plays a major part I myself suffered from it for years now and you find yourself constantly checking your heart rate to reassure yourself . I have always found anxiety itself has an effect on your actual heart rate if i sit around worrying about it i often feel my heart skip a beat and so on .

• Posted

I am a 48 year old male., not athletic, and i noticed mone at 43 years old. it will drop to 40's and is often low 50's. but when i do something it goes right up. stop stressing., your fine. just do normal check ups like i do

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.