Low Sodium

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was wondering if anyone is suffering from low sodium. I take 3,000 mg daily of sodium in capsule form. Yet if I am not careful my sodium still drops dangerously low.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I have had mild chronic hyponatremia since 2019. Lowest my sodium ever was, was 124 in May 2019. Went to 142 in July of that year; in Feb 2020 it was 134 and this past June it was 129.

I have not been prescribed any sodium tablets for it; nor have I been placed on fluid restriction. My doctor simply told me to drink less water and coffee and more solute beverages (sports drinks, juices, etc).

I don't have any symptoms; I take several medications that can cause it (thiazide diuretic, prescription NSADI and prescription PPI). I was on a serotonin reuptake inhibitor which the doctor I saw in 2019 stopped; hence the higher reading. But it's since dipped down again.

Since I don't have any symptoms and my doctor is not too concerned, I really don't pay attention to it. I'll probably try drinking less fluids before my next blood test, or some V8 or pickle juice as that also helped get it back up into normal range (the 142 reading).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.