Lower back in total spasm-cant move and bedbound

Posted , 4 users are following.

Help! HELP! I have just about had enough.i have had ongoing back problems for about 8 years since moving furniture.following a mri I was told I had a bulging disc and disc degeneration.i was advised to lose a bit of weight and be careful making beds and sent on my way!Over the years with the occasional use of cocodmol, naproxen and diazepam I have adapted my life around an aching back and in general I am very careful with it.i lost some weight and did some back exercises and have probably had a major seize up once a year lasting about 5 days.however,3 weeks ago,bending down to a coffee table I pulled something and my back has got worse and worse.i tried working through the pain,I tried resting up but no relief.i am now in bed,one side of my back in total spasm.yesterday I had intense physiotherapy and today the pain is appalling.he told me it was a spasm.i want to hear from people how to deal with this pain,I'm on all my advised meds.how long does this intense pain last for??? I am female and 50 and the feeling of depression is totally absorbing me and I have had enough.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi I know exactly how you feel. You're not alone. I'm only 29 and have a slipped disc. I find the pain unbareable . I'm lucky I get some relief lying down . I have been offered surgery to fix the disc and I'm gonna go for it as I just can't put up with it any longer. No idea how you've done 8 years. Ive had it 9months. Do excercises help you? Have you talked to a surgeon?

• Posted

Hi Lucy, thanks for replying,lying in this bed for 2nd day is just constantly making me cry.surgery really wasn't offered- it was a case of lose some weight,which I did,and be careful.i had intense physio which I paid for and yes,I did exercises I found on the internet and for a year I have felt relatively normal- even going back to teaching part time.but I fell into a false sense of security and lapsed with the exercises and here I am today-one side of my lower back in total spasm.it is agony and each day I wake up hoping it has eased slightly but not yet.i am at a loss what to do.my meds appear to give me no relief and the physio I had on tuesday has caused me to not be able to move at all.

How long do your episodes last for?and apart from lying flat how else do you find relief?

• Posted

I really feel for you. I think you should bring up surgery again with your doctor's and really lay it on thick with how you feel and how you've tried everything. So I changed my job so I'm sat down more often now as a receptionist. But the past three weeks it's been worse, I think I re twinged it as I thought it was finally getting better....as soon as I stand up I get it...the longer I'm on my feet the worse it gets and by the time I find a chair I'm pretty much calling out in pain. It then eases after 5 mins of sitting or lying down and I don't feel it at all.. ...I stand up again and the pains an 8. It's like a burning sharp pain for me and I get pain in my knee and ankle too. Me and my husband want to try for babies soon but I just don't know how I'll ever cope if I don't have this surgery soon. Excercises make it worse for me too....I decided to give up on my PT.

• Posted

Hi lucy,my pain was so bad last night that I tripped getting off the loo.the pain was like something I have never experienced. I was shaking , sweat was pouring off me and I felt faint.a night doctor came and checked it wasn't disc related, it's not,just a horrific muscle spasm and he gave me some liquid morphine which has helped slightly.

I have had pt but its very hit and miss-sometimes I think they do more damage.

All I know is that when/if this gets better, I will continue with the core strengthening exercises (they do work),lose more weight and pray I never have

an episode like this ever again.

If you want children you need to discuss whether its best to have it before after.

If I had this problem when I was pregnant I could never of done it.

What meds r u on?

• Posted

Hi Nicky,

Really hoping and praying things settle down and get better soon - what an awful time you and Lucy and everyone on the forum have been through. Thinking about you, empathising having had lower back pain in the last year but been lucky still been able to get out and thankfully not needing surgery or anything like that, but still got me down and finding it hard to get over.

A book that was recommended to me by osteopath was Back Pain Decoded by Robert Shanks. I haven't got it yet but the osteopath is a good and trustworthy one and says it's really good and can make a difference, planning to get a copy myself. 

Thinking of you and praying for God's help - hang in there.

Craig

• Posted

Thanks Craig for your kind words.

I will do some research on the book you suggested.

Not sure if God is on my side sometimes....

• Posted

I actually came off meds because I didn't feel like anything worked for me ..so I was taking medication for no reason and possibly harming other parts of my body! I've just been coping if it gets worse though I guess I will have to do something . Omg I had that once in my groin which "I was told was just nerve pain but I was on the floor being sick and had to call the paramedics out . Awful! I want a baby do badly but I know I'm gonna just have to wait it out

• Posted

Thanks Nicky and Lucy,

I know when things go wrong and suffering is prolonged, it's so hard to understand and it may feel like God is not on our side, but believe me He really is. It's okay to accept that we don't understand why what's happening is happening, but that He knows better than us and His ways and thinking is higher than ours - it's so hard to hold onto hope and faith in hard times I do understand and do get it and do struggle myself often, wish it was easier for sure at times. 

Thinking about you both and still truly believing in your recovery - hang in there - trusting God.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Nicky,

So sorry to hear of this terrible time you've been going through, I know the pain and suffering of back pain words can't describe it really is awful. I've had some lower back pain the last year, and been lucky that only a slight disc bulge has bee diagnosed from MRI scan but it has still got me very down and found it difficult to cope with and get rid of back spasms. 

At the moment I'm seeing an ostepath which has been helping settle it down a bit, definitely worth a try. There is also a therapy called shock wave therapy which they can do which I know can help some people, it does micro-injury to the lower back to promote a healing response. I must say I didn't feel a great benefit from it but it seems to help others. Another therapy which has helped me so much over the years is Bowen Therapy. Sometimes even just taking good vitamins and herbs can also make a difference, a good strong multi-vitamin per day, high doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day), B complex (good for nervous system) and glucosamine / chondroitin / MSN / calcium, and anti-inflammatory herbs like turmeric and flaxseed oil.

Empathising with the depression and really hoping and praying things get better soon Nicky - I believe in God and believe He is a great healer, hoping and praying for your healing and I believe you are going to get through this and be back to being pain free again. Thinking of you!

Craig

• Posted

My dear Readers if you are suffering from Disc Prolapse or Herniations you should know that Surgery is not the only one solutions for these problems. There are Non-Surgical Treatment for Slipped Disc and it can cure your problem permanently. I was also diagnosed with Disc Bulging and i was somewhat bedridden and was advised to undergo Surgery. But then i heard about a leading Spine care centre specialized in Non-Surgical Slipped Disc Treatment called Gurupatham Spine Care centre and i decided to give it a try. And i should say after 3 sessions of treatments i experience a great change. Now i totally recovered. You can check my MRI Reports. So before going for surgery try Physiotherapy too but not some normal physiotherapy techniques but the Physicians doing Decompression along with spinal gliding and manipulation! Be sure to check the background of the Physician before going for treatment, i my case the hospital i preferred was specializing in Disc problems and i got fully recovered. !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.