Lower Dose Causing Elimination Problems?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. I'm an 82 year old female. My dosage had always been at 1mg and sometimes a bit higher. My new doctor of approximately 3-4 years prescribed my dosage at 0.088mg. At first it seemed ok but about 2 ago I started having trouble with constipation. I am also now losing the signals or muscle contractions to evacuate. I take a fiber pill before dinner to at least keep stools soft. I have had severe bouts with hardened stools and necessary enemas. I make sure to drink 7 to 8 cups of liquid mostly water every day. I keep thinking it's my thyroid gland but my GP keeps insisting it's normal. I was never on pills that low. She said because of my age, to raise it could be dangerous for a heart attack. I've looked online in search for what would be normal for an elderly female but how can I trust it? They say for people of 55-87 years 0.5 - 8.9 mIU/L is normal. Mine reads 1.33 0.32-4.00 mIU/L. I don't know how to read the numbers unfortunately. I can't ask another doctor, here I'm lucky I have a doctor. Really don't know what to do. Would like to know if anyone else is in this situation and what they did to resolve it.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.