Lower right hip and back discomfort

Posted , 2 users are following.

for about a year now i've had this discomfort near my right hip flexor that wraps around from the front to the side to the back.

in the front the discomfort (not pain) is most present when i'm laying on my back or occasionally when sitting but never when standing and is near the area where my appendix was taken out decades ago. it's almost as if either my muscles or intestines are being compressed. when i lay in the evening, it feels like i can specifically feel either food or gas moving through that spot as if it's partially compressed. this seems to be a daily occurrence.

my right back side (quadratus lumborum) is generally quite tight. some days it's uncomfortable to sit and very tender. some days it's mostly fine unless i really go digging. it's a similar story (but less extreme) for my right oblique.

all of these symptoms are near the hip bone but can refer discomfort up to the bottom of the rib cage on occasion. and this only occurs on the right side, not the left side.

i've had ultrasounds and an mri done. nothing turned up. i was recommended physical therapy where the therapists could find no obvious cause. they've recommended a general strengthening program for my abdomen, which i have been doing for a few months now. while there has been some improvement, it's been modest. meanwhile i have full range of motion (can nearly put my full palms on the floor) and am able to complete atypically difficult exercises relative to what you normally see in physical therapy, so i feel like the strength is there.

does anybody have any theories on what might be causing this? i'm at a loss after months of visits

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.