lowering sugar ( Tea without Sugar ) made me dehydrate

Posted , 3 users are following.

I want to ask that yesterday I drank tea with out sugar that made  me  be dehydrate very hard andI had worse constipation.

please some body answer

couldnt understand where to put this question please explain how to use this forum too

thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Believe that you are using the forum correctly. 

There is no way that tea without sugar will dehydrate any more then with suger. Tea alone will dehydrate you because "Tea" is a "Diuretic", as is Alcohol, Coffee, and Pop.

• Posted

Hm, interesting observation.

Which sugar (normal household table sugar = sucrose, or sorbitol)

and

which tea?

Sorbitol is known to have a laxative effect,

with household sugar (sucrose)....people swear by its laxative effect for babies since they are not fully equipped with digestive enzymes and the sugars seem to pull fluid into guts (like sugars lactose, fructose do for adults often),

but for adults sucrose usually has the oposite effect of rather causing constipation than relieving it. Especially fructose malabsorbers (who get diarrhea), take houshold sugar, since the glucose in it balances the fructose out to avoid diarrhea.

But there is another factor: caffein is known to contribute to constipation.

So if you drink non-herbal, but 'caffein' containing black tea (that is mildly diuretic),

you might have had some impact.

It is known, when suffering constipation, that one should rather drink water, decaf coffee or herbal teas, but not black (green teas have less), rather even sugary sodas than anything with coffein.

But there is so much we eat additionally, live circumstances, that could lead to constipation or there nerves in guts inself being influenced, that I think it is hard to pin down the culprit that easily. (?)

Honey has more fructose in contrary to table sugar and hence pulls out more liquid into intestine/stool. (honey is a mild laxative; fructose malabsorbers hence avoid it completely)

You could really do some trials, 

different tea, with without household sugar,

different tea, with without honey or sorbitol (sweetener).

Hydration is key, so yes please drink well, have soups, but if constipation hits, it's sometimes hitting also well hydrated people for other reasons.

All the best!!!

Enjoy your tea!

• Posted

and not to forget:

a change in diet can always have some impact.

I was a high fat, chocolate, household sugar consumer, never had constipation from it as it would highly indicate it.  Nope. Was all good. Really.

Lowering this bad habit, actually caused stool change not for the better in the beginning. (constipation, odd, but didn't bother me either since improving after a week)

So: a change in diet - even if it makes no sense from a general chemical or empirial point - can cause constipation.

Maybe you just need to get used to this new diet with lower sugar, have a look what it is like in a week's time and stay hydrated, so you know fluid is not the issue.

Best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.