Lump on my back below rib cage

Posted , 2 users are following.

Greetings, I'm 39 y.o. male.

I feel a lump below the left rib cage on my back, right where the kidney is supposed to be.

This started about a year ago, I had pain in that area. My first thought was that my back hurts from bad sitting posture and sitting for too long. It went away immediately after a night's sleep. The next day I felt a little lump on the same spot. I never thought it was serious, I thought it's probably from muscle strain that caused some kind of liquid in the spot - I played sports when I was younger so I had this kind of thing in other areas of my body (joints, knees etc), so I thought "ok it's just an injury and it will go away on its own."

After a year, today, I still have that lump. It doesn't really hurt, it's just there being annoying. If I touch it and apply a bit of pressure it hurts just a tiny bit. The lump has a shape of oval, long and thin. I can see it in the mirror if I bend over a bit to the side.

As I'm writing this I have a pillow on my chair on my back just to ease the pressure from the lump.

Do you think it's something serious? Could it be liquid from muscle strain from my previous back pain that never went away? I've been reading in the internet that it could also be a kidney tumor, so it got me really worried.

I don't have any other symptoms related to kidney problems. I had some blood tests 2 months ago, my doctor noticed something and asked me about the kidneys, but the result was "high normal" - within range I mean but at the highest point. I don't remember which test was it from the general blood work. I ll be happy to share those numbers if you tell me which test could have been

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I think I have the same as you but on my right side.

Not because of the lump, but last year I went through tons of testing on my kidneys and adrenal glands. I have cysts on both.

I asked my urologist about this lump and asked him if that was anything to do with my kidney and he said no. He said you would not feel a lump on/in your kidney

So, I just forgot about it. I still have it.

• Posted

So my lump could not be a kidney issue. that's good to know. Thank you very much!

Do you might also have an idea if back pain can cause a lump like that? like I described above?

• Posted

I am not sure, but I can tell you that I have terrible back issues

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.