Lumpy feeling in throat

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all

Ive been given 2 different lots of antidepresants to try over the last year.  I came off the first one because i feel like ive got a constant lump in my throat.  I've been given a new one now and its started again. Its making be feel sick all the time.  Any ideas how I can get rid of this feeling as I dont want to come off the tablets because they are working, its just that sicky feeling.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I have trouble even swallowing a pill i have diabetis plus anxiety. 1st get ur thyroid checked i have a nodule on left side they did out  patient surgery got a upper and lower GI came back I hav acid reflex. when i bend over my coffee will come up.I choked last night on my diabertic pill. The water was actually drowning me where i had to spit it all up.and if the anti depressents r making u sick. dont stop tell ur doctor he may give u for nausea. compazine or other for nausea hugs an get checked make sure its not a  high hernia.
  • Posted

Hi there. Sorry to hear you are feeling bad. Which ones are you on. From my own experience with Sertaline I feel sick.
    • Posted

I'm on Sertraline as well. How long have you been on them, does it ease off a little?  I came off citalopram because of this sick feeling.

• Posted

It is very common to feel all kinds of issues I the throat with anxiety and stress. As those thongs decrease the throat symptoms will go away
    • Posted

Thanks, just need to feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel and it will go/fade.
    • Posted

There is, I had it so bad years ago it felt like I swallowed a chicken bone. Sometimes it feels like someone is pressing a thumb, but it is not anything that will hurt you and it will fade when you can get calmer.

All the best xx

• Posted

I understand how you feel. I get the lump in my throat when i am anxious. I take Zoloft and there are times i feel sick and its at 25mgs then i take trazodonne, lamotrigine and lorazepam 

There are times i feel shaky weak tired and just not into it.

What antidepressants are you on 

Elizabeth

• Posted

I'm two weeks in and took the bull by the horns and increased to 50mgs last night. The side effects do wear off but when increasing they come back again. My own experience only. For me personally I hate taking any meds.. so this is a big deal. Hang in there as what you are experiencing seems normal. Stress and anxiety brings on some wonderful sensations?? not !!! My doc told me yesterday 6 weeks of felling bad and hopefully a better life from then on. Small price to pay. Good luck. X

• Posted

When starting an antidepressant, anxiety tends to get worse before it gets better. The feeling of having a lump in your throat is called Globus Sensation. It can be caused by anxiety, or acid reflux. If you don't have acid reflux, then the side effects of heightened anxiety from starting medication is most likely causing it, especially when it happened with both meds you've been on. The anxiety causes the throat and neck muscles to become quite tense, and tight, and in turn you get the feeling of a lump in your throat, or the sensation that something is stuck. As long as you can take in full breaths, swallow food, and drink normally, you're fine. It's an annoying feeling, but try to loosen up those muscles, and things will get better.

• Posted

I just hope it does go. I'm going to try and stick it out. Eating and drinking are fine, its just a really annoying feeling.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.