Lung function tests

Posted , 5 users are following.

So, I'm not sure why, but there's no medical reason...

About a year and 3 months ago, I had a lung function test. My Pulmonologist said my lungs were functioning at 30%. Just went for one last week and he says I'm now functioning at 45%!! He asked me what changes I've made... ummm..... I smoke MORE than I was a year ago. I did tell him that. I just didn't see any reason to try to quit again if my numbers were to gonna improve any more than POSSIBLY 5%.

Well, let me tell u... NOW I have a reason. Don't get me wrong. I wasn't trying to smoke more. It just happened that way. Boredom, I suppose. I've got AS in addition to emphysema. So, getting around has been increasingly difficult. I have a smoking cessation meeting next week and one the week after. Idk where I'm going after that. The program began a few weeks ago and will end in 2 weeks. I've tried medication, which made me want to murder someone. I just wasn't sure who. I've tried cold turkey. Not for me. Patch, smokeless e-cigs, no, no. I've tried everything I can think of. I even tried vape. (It makes me cough. And cough, and cough.) not for me. Idk what to do next. IS there anything else? I really AM open to suggestions. If anyone can help, please let me know. I'm all ears. (Or eyes... lol)

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi EMT929,

May I ask whats your smoking history ? Like how many ciggs. you smoke and how long have you been smoking ?

• Posted

There's always faith. It was the only thing that got me off the last few per day. If you want to know how I got off the rest of the pack a day, pm me.

Good luck.

Aitarg

• Posted

Quitting was probably the hardest thing I have ever done. 

Many failures. I had to change my attitude. Instead of saying I was going to have a cigarette, I would say I was going to suck smoke. I mocked myself for liking something soft round and warm to put in my mouth. I stopped buying my favorite brand and theN started buying those with less and less nicotine.  I hated the way cigs made me cough

My my wife and I gave each other good money for quitting  to spend on ourselves.

i set a date. Emphasized the negative value of smoking.  Threw packs away. This time it stuck.  Before long I lost the craving.  Became one of the bum people I use to not like and asked people to not smoke around me. 

i also took away the quilt. I knew it was getting in my way preventing success. I blaimed the darn tobacco companies.  

You our need to get your own Ph.D. In quoting smoking and try try again looking inside to learn how. You and you alone can do it. 

Do do not blaimed yourself if you stumble. Learn   Go at it again and again. You can do it!

• Posted

I see there is no edit button.  Alas. 
  • Posted

So smoking more made your lung function better ? 
  • Posted

The decision is yours EMT and therein is the difference between successfully quitting and temporarily giving up.

Once you have made the decision to stop smoking, you need to follow that up every time you get a craving, you make the decision again to stop and stay stopped.

For me the biggest part of stopping smoking was reaffirming the decision to stay stopped.  It was my choice, for my health, for my wellbeing.

The reasons for stopping, the wanting to stop and choosing / deciding to stop doing the habit is what determines success (and being true to yourself and honouring your pwn decision).

Check out 'the psychology of stopping smoking'  that might help you to get to grips with it better.

Smoking is a prop, so is an alternative replacement, the choice is to be free of the habit, once you achieve that, you are free entirely, to be smoke free and not dependent on always needing or wanting a smoke..

In a way its valuing your own wellbeing more than you value a smoke.

• Posted

Congratulations with your recent improvement regarding the lung function test smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.