Lupus?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I’ve had fatigue, joint pain, neck pain, abdominal pain, headaches, concentration problems, memory problems, occasional mouth ulcers, unexplained heart problems (I’ve seen a cardiologist for this, they said nothing was wrong) pain upon taking deep breaths, and hair thinning for four years. My mom has lupus, and today she put two and two together and suggested it could be lupus, after I devolved a small rash under my eyes/ next to my nose. Everyone thinks I’m crazy and never believe that I’m actually in pain seeing as I’m only 19 and should be perfectly healthy. My face is always red and sometimes burns and throbs painfully for no good reason. My neck and head are in constant pain, from the moment I wake up to the moment I fall asleep.

I had a CBC and CMP just last month and the results were fine. I doubt it’s lupus but she’s convinced it must be. Opinions? Could it really be lupus? Anything else it could be? I’m attempting to get insurance now, I’ll probably get it in about 3 weeks and I will get tested then. Would love to hear your opinions, I’ve always been a worrier so I’ll probably freak out until I see the doc. Ha

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It very well could be yes. Your symptoms are suggesting that. But you need to see a good doctor so it can be diagnosed. Good luck with it. Hope you find an answer. 
    • Posted

Thank you. At first I didn’t really consider it because it just didn’t seem likely, but the more she talks about it the more I worry. I’m going to see a doctor as soon as I can. Hopefully I get answers. Hopefully good news..
  • Posted

Sorry, typo. I meant developed, not devolved. 
  • Posted

With your mum having Lupus you are more prone to developing an autoimmune condition. Have they checked your thyroid, hypothyroidism causes fatigue, hair loss, joint pain, very low mood (an autoimmune condition). The symptoms cross over into other conditions. Sadly, not being believed isn't uncommon. Thankfully your mum supports you and understands. Many of us on the forums here have not been believed by doctors, family, friends. It's a lonely place to be. Thankfully there's support here, we understand.

Did the cardiologist do an ultrasound? I get pain but no congestive heart condition. It's lupus constricting the arteries, inflammation. Medication controls it. I was saw a cardiologist who understood SLE.

I hope you can get answers soon.

• Posted

Thank you for the answer. I don’t believe they’ve checked my thyroid.

That’s interesting, could Depression be linked to these things? I’ve had depression and anxiety for years.

And, the cardiologist did an ultrasound and everything seemed fine. I wore a heart monitor for a month to record the weird episodes and they just told me it was just tachycardia.

My mom is making sure they do an ANA, Hopefully I’ll get good news rather than bad.

• Posted

An underactive thyroid can cause depression and affect heart rate. An ANA test will help to identify if Lupus is involved. I have Lupus and thyroid problems. It took a Rheumatologist who knew what he was doing to get the right diagnosis. Your family history will matter too. If you can get the right treatment it can make a big difference and help you to get your life back. Good luck and best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.