Lyrica.. weight loss or gain?

Posted , 7 users are following.

What is the general side effect of Lyrica, is it weight loss or gain??

Started this with lexapro a year ago and have expanded to say the least and wondering is it down to the Lyrica??

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I think often it's a case of "say goodbye to your waist line" with this drug, it seems a bit coincidental that I put on a stone after starting it, but then I was also at that middle aged point where people tend to put on weight too, so I can't say for sure it was lyrical alone.  I was nearly 49 years old when I started.

• Posted

Yeah I seemed to have gained so much weight too but its hard to pinpoint what drug but I think Lyrica as I was on SSRI's before and didnt have weight gain

• Posted

Hi ellebi 

I have been taking lyrica for 1year and I have gain weight ,blur vision,

drowsiness,fatigue,vertigo,confuse!!!,difficulty with speaking !!dry mouth,

and loss of bladder control !!!!! 

I take Mirtazapine ,TARGINACT and Duloxetine 

i think the medication is the cause of me putting weight on 

• Posted

I have a very bad difficulty swallowing too which I think is down to either Lyrica or the SSRI. I wouldnt mind if Lyrica was helping me but its doing nothing!!!
    • Posted

Hi ellebi 

i have trouble swallowing food,and tablets 

I've had a Gastroscopy and a barium meal X-ray  it shows that I've got a sliding hiatus hernia which causes acid reflux and weak muscles at the back of throat and that's I've trouble of swallowing .

i take a tablet lansoprazole for the acid reflux

maybe it's not the lyrica tablets??

if u still having trouble swallowing go to your GP  

take care 

Christine xxx

yes ive put weight on since I been on lyrica !!!!!!

• Posted

I have had Gastroscopy and a barium meal X-ray too over a year ago and although a hiatus hernia did show up, they didnt think it was anything to worry about and the barium showed up clear
  • Posted

I put on a couple of stone when I first started taking it and 4 inches on my waist. It really disturbed me a lot because I'd never been over 9.5 stone and always had a 28 waist. After about 9 months of taking it, the weight did come off again gradually over the next few months. I've lost most of the inches on my waist but not back down to a 28. I'm a 29 and don't think that's too bad for someone of my age

• Posted

Dear ellebi,

You are absolutely right, pregabalin definitely has made me put on weight.

Problem is, it makes you fairly laid back and you just don't feel like tearing around doing things. To be completely honest I would much prefer to sit at a table with a drink and chat to someone like yourself rather than go off shopping or doing some sort of physical work. This obviously leads to weight gain.

I sure I have made my point.

Best regards

bobcrachet

• Posted

Yes it hard to know sometimes what drug is causing what issues and I am eating a lot of crap and dont feel like excercising sometimes.
  • Posted

Hi ellebi

This may sound like a horror story, but it is true. I have been taking pregabalin for over 9 yrs and have gained 7 stones in weight. Admittedly due to stroke I have become inactive also. I was on 600 mgs per day for years and regularly asking my GP to reduce the dose, but he classed as a catch 22 situation, either have the weight or the pain. He eventualy put me down to 400 mgs a day, but about 12 months ago I reduced it to 200mgs and am now managing to reduce the weight slowly. I am now thinking about not taking even the 200 and putting up with any pain this leaves me with. So I would say although pregabalin tablet looks nothing like or tastes like a cream cake, beware.

Harry

• Posted

wow that is serious weight gain. Im on 200mg at the moment so I will keep an eye out since increase that I dont gain anymore
  • Posted

Hi All. I have just joined this forum as my husband passed away suddenly and I believe Lyrica contributed to his passing. I'm awaiting post mortem results. He gained 40kgs in 18mths and suffered serious side effects - swelling of face, stomach, legs and arms (oedema), blurred vision, insomnia, tiredness, itching and difficulty breathing. He started off on small doses and then was on 900mgs per day when he passed. He was a police officer and suffered a neck injury 6 years ago and was opioids for pain relief and Lyrica in the last couple of years. He started an opioid treatment program 18months to ago to come off these meds and thus his doctor increased his Lyrica. It's a very dangerous drug and I wish I had known the side effects and maybe my husband would still be with me. This is a dangerous drug - please consider carefully. Withdrawal is also as bad as opioid withdrawal.

• Posted

Dear lesley03641,

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. I no there are many reported side effects for this drug.

I have been taking Lyrica for several years now but I understand that it is registered at a maximum dose of 600mg per day. My GP was most adamant that I should not exceed this dose. Please check me out as I think it is important. I would also say that some people do report weight gain on Lyrica but you can also lose weight, depending on your body chemistry. We are all different and respond differently to prescribed drugs.

I hope this correspondence is helpful to you and wish you as happy a Christmas as you can have under your circumstances.

Best regards

bobcrachet.

• Posted

Hi Bob

Thank you for that. I wasnt aware of the the adverse and serious side effects of this medication and either was my husband. It's only since his passing that I've been searching for answers. I just want others to be aware of the risks so no one else has to go through my pain. My husband is my world and leaves a 3 year old son and twins due in March.  He was a man with such passion for life. 

• Posted

Dear lesley,

I have discussed the properties of Lyrica with two nurses now. One said that she found it great and was on it herself. The second one was working at the Bangor Hospital and after reading all the side effects listed in the box just said " I would not take this." The thing is we all respond differently to drugs. I seem OK on it. It gives me a good nights sleep and I don't feel ill on it.

It was prescribed to me for neuropathic pain caused by diabetes. It does not seem to work very well for that. I have also been prescribed Gabapentin which is very similar.

I hope your research into this drug goes well and that you find the answers you are looking for.

Very best regards

bobcrachet

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.