major Pain and swelling

Posted , 4 users are following.

So let me first note that I've been managing this problem by smoking sativa to treat my pain and the thc helps with swelling. Now, my issue is I have to be high or at least partially under the influence at every waking moment or I am in pain. And it gets worse the longer I don't smoke. I tried a tolerance break and I lasted a week before I had to cave because I couldn't even get out of my bed or adjust my position without sobbing in pain. So as for he facts of my surgery, it happened in either 2012 or 13, don't remember anymore. I have 30+ screws and two metal rods as well as five spinal fusionss keeping me held in place. It was an 80degree S-curve before surgery and ended 13 degrees after all was said and done. Th pain has gotten worse over the years and I'm wondering if maybe my hardware could be broken somewhere or what's going on. The pain typically comes from a specific area, near my lower spine on the left side, where I have a large bone mass grown around a screw. What should I do? I don't like having to rely on ANY substance to live my life or rule over me and my pain.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Don't mess around around when it comes to your spine and hardware if you feel there may be damage go get x-rays as soon as you can. Seriously. I did and my rods were fine turned out I was having pain from fibromyalgia.

• Posted

Hi Emily,

I had a spinal fusion done in childhood . In my early 40s, my lower spine developed a compensatory curve and the pain was so bad I could barely walk. I was told I would need another surgery, but instead I started practicing Bikram Yoga. Bikram is a gentle stretching yoga practiced in a hot humid room. Within a week I started getting pain relief, and now five years later I am completely able-bodied and pain free as long as I practice a few times a week. I highly recommend it!

• Posted

I am trying something a little different. After emergency fusion at 14, due to swift progression and severity, I was in surgery 2 months after diagnosis. I am now 43. I had some hip pain and could feel my rods when I moved wrong (strained against them). Aside from that I was always pretty pain free and very active. I did many things I should not have done. My work has mostly been physical, I even worked as an in home care taker for a 200 lb invalid who required manual transfers only. With proper mechanics I was able to do this (and many other things), with what I thought was no damage, as I felt no back pain aside from some muscle pain. Last year my feet started hurting like I was always walking on sharp rocks and I always felt like i'd been out dancing all night in tight heals, even barefoot. (I do not wear heals or tight shoes). Soon aftward I got a sharp pain in my lower back. I've spent over a year trying to find solutions. I finally found my original orthopedic came out of retirement. At the same time I found a chiropractor who specializes in unfused scoliosis. After many tests my orthopedic is scratching his head. My kypsosis and lourdes (keep in mind that my entire thoratic spine is fused with rods intact) changed from 40 degrees each 28 years ago to 80 degrees each. I do not know when, as I had not been under care all of those years. Under the supervision of my original orthopedic, my chiropractor is going to do an intense PT visit with me next week with stress x-rays. If I respond in a good way then we will start working on reducing the unfused portions of my spine, while keeping it balanced, and this should reduce the constant severe back pain and hopefully reduce strain on nerves causing the siatic and foot pain. I'm cautiously optomistic. After so many years relativly pain free, I was dismayed and frustrated to have an onset of intense pain that I've been unable to find a solution for in over a year. Fingers crossed.

• Posted

hi ginger,

I post this advice a lot on this board, so if you've seen this on another thread apologies in advance. however, our stories do sound similar. I had spinal fusion at age 11 and no problems for over 30 years. in my 40s I was diagnosed with a curve in my tailbone probably caused by my refusal to wear a lift on my short leg. I was in terrible pain, I was pretty much crippled and could barely walk. I began practicing Bikram yoga, which is gentle yoga practiced in a hot, humid room. My pain went away after the first week, and stays away as long as I practice regularly. I think its so effective because the heat relaxes all those spasming muscles and ligaments, and the stretching prevents them from seizing up as much. its definitely worth a try, I wish everyone with spine issues knew about this. It absolutely changed my life. At age 55 I still walk a little funny, but I am completely able-bodied.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.