Makeshift pinhole with your fingers to see better.

Posted , 3 users are following.

You know that focus becomes much less critical when you view through a pinhole. I wanted to point out that we have a pinhole available to us for shopping etc. If I want to read the ingredients of a food while shopping, I use the tips of my thumb and index fingers, along with the (medial) side of the side of the farthest (distal) middle finger segment  to form a triangular pinhole that I hold close to my eye. The middle joint of my thumb goes next to my nose.

Similarly, the impromptu pinhole can also allow a nearsighted person to see farther details on a sunny day.

The brighter the light, the better this works.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Yes, that is why people squint to improve their vision. When one squints it is a sure sign new glasses are needed... And that is why the paddle with the pinholes are used in a quick and dirty eye exam. If looking through a pinhole improves vision then a refraction change is usually needed.

• Posted

What a pinhole essentially does is it blocks out the light coming in from the most extreme angles so most of the light comes in at a straighter angle. The steep angled light is more challenging to focus.

• Edited

What a pinhole essentially does is it blocks out the light coming in from the most extreme angles so most of the light comes in at a straighter angle.

An off-center pinhole is probably still going to help acuity. But with a pinhole you do with your fingers, the pinhole undesirably gets farther from the cornea. To experiment angles off of the centerline , I would make a pinhole with a pin in aluminum foil. Your high-res cones (color eye pixels) are near the midline of the eye, so I think the falloff would mostly be due to that.

I would say that it makes the eye more like a pinhole camera or a high-F-stop lens, but another factor is that it limits the rays to using part of the cornea. Any dents and aberrations in the cornea are not going to work against you.

The point of my post is that you have a pinhole handy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.