Male Osteoperosis advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

Recently diagnosed 37 year old hip -2.3 spine -3.7 with T5 low trauma compression fracture, prescribed Alandronic by GP but not sure, how can I persuad Forsteo as the gains would improve more? Been referred to general medical, could they help?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

At your age I don't think you should be taking any of these drugs.  Their long term use is discouraged even for people much older than you.  You need to find out first of all what the cause of your bone thinning is, if you haven't already.  And you can seriously consider natural treatments involving supplements and appropriate exercise which have been shown in many cases to be at least as effective as OP drugs in improving bone density without any of the (very scary) side effects.  

I can't post any of the links to the reading I've done.  I take multiple supplements - calcium and D3 of course, but also Vitamin K2 (not K1) magnesium, Vitamin A (retinol), mixed tocopherol Vitamin E, etc.  I walk, am learning tai chi and have recently taken up Nordic walking.  The first two should be safe for you, and I do know that Nordic walking is recommended by osteoporosis organizations and helps develop upper body stength and improve bone density in the upper spine.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply

This time last year I too was an avid runner/walker, three peaks challenge in 23 hours so fitness and nutrition is/was high.

Investigations into cause is still ongoing, gastro biopsy results, MRI stir, still in TLSO brace 4 months on, if marrow activity vertabroplasty is on the cards I think.

How do you know how much supplements to take, is there a rule on age etc

• Posted

Most of the bone medications, at least the ones that have been on the market long enough for their long term effects to be apparent, are recommended to be taken for no more than 5 years.  Some people take them longer.  Some are relatively new and the side effects are not really known yet.  I'm going to send you by private message my little essay on my osteoporosis journey.  I'll emphasize that this is only from my reading, I have no medical training, but I do have an enquiring mind and years of working in a library makde me quite good at judging quality of internet information. wink  I also like to learn from others so if you have anything to add, please let me know.
  • Posted

Hi Paul

In the same boat as you... Forteo to me has also been recommended and I fear it no matter what anyone says... I spoke to the Forteo company many times and the Lilly co as well and they say about four in a million get the bone cancer and die.... My luck I would be one of those four and I dont beleive the numbers.... 

I am thinking of doing Strontium Citrate which you can buy at any on line vitamin place...

Tom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.