Maltodextrin??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hiya.  I know that maltodextrin does not contain gluten but does anyone else have problems when thhey consume products containing maltodextrin? Think I might have worked out that when i end up in pain but know that i have not consumed gluten that it may have been down to maltodextrin but just wondered how common this is. 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, mmmm yes, well I think it depends on how sensitive you are. My Christmas was ruined last year because I'd eaten a salad with balsamic glaze on it which was made with modified wheat starch and not maize starch as I'd believed. Even though this was a fractional amount I was still really unwell.

In theory maltodextrin is ok because the processing has virtually removed all trace of the wheat however, the keword here is' virtually' because I think it really does depend on your sensitivity.

I have now given up all grains which is very difficult but worth the improvement. Best to go with what suits you. : ) 

• Posted

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I think I may right becasue yesterday I ate something that I didn't realise had maltodextrin in. I started with pain last night and I am still in pain this morning. I thought I had checked the label properly but I have just rechecked it and there it is  - maltodextrin!!!! I think its harder to spot beacsue it is not in bold like wheat etc. When you say you have given up on all grains, do you mean corn and oats because I tend to avoid them because I often wonder if they cause me to end up in pain as well so I avoid them. Was thinking about testing my theory and trying them just to confirm. I think I am ok with a bit of modified MAIZE startch in things but I am sure if its in a tablet I can't tolerate it. Sometimes I feel like there will be nothing left to eat soon lol.
  • Posted

Hi - I can't speak to maltodextrin sensitivity, but I know it exists. Also, since it's usually a thickener, see if you may be reacting to gums. It seems that some with CD can't tolerate xanthan or other gums. In the US, it's rare to have maltodexterin from wheat, it's most often corn or could be rice or potato. 

From what I've seen in my son, early after diagnosis the gut is more sensitive but can better tolerate foods/ingredients after a good period of "safe" eating (not gluten of course! More like oats, dairy, etc.)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.