MAS (multiple autoimmune syndrome)

Posted , 6 users are following.

It just hit me - i have this.  First one was under active thyroid (my dad also had this one), and then years later have pityriasis chronica (white blood cells attack skin) and now arthritis of the foot.

It seems that once you have one autoimmune disorder, others might follow which is rather disheartening.  Has this happened to anyone else out there?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes, mee too. Hypothyroidism. thrombocytapenia (TCP) aka low platelet count. Allergies & intolerances. Age related Macular degeneration (20 years too early - at the age of 46), they've recently found out it has an auto immune element.
    • Posted

Is there a cure for Macular degeneration, Barbara, like laser surgery?

The rise of autoimmune diseases is incredible/everyone else in my family history had nothing like this (parents, grandparents, aunts, etc.)

• Posted

Sorry to here about your condition. I have polymyositis. My immune system attacks my muscles and lungs. 

I am on auto immune suppressants.

what treatment and medication are you receiving ?

• Posted

Have had no trouble with the thyroid since I've been taking Levothyroxine 100 mg for years.

I'm taking Acnamino 100 mg for the skin which is seeing some improvement but not contained.

I'm sorry about your condition, Steve - if they could cure one autoimmune disease, then they could cure all.  My sister got Type 1 Diabetes at the age of 46.  But there is no history of it being in our family.  Life's a bitch.

• Posted

It sure is....I started with microscopic colitis in 2012 then progressed to Hashimoto's in which my thyroid had to be removed. Now RA and testing for some type of connective tissue disease in which my skin is covered in a red , sometimes hot rash on my back,stomach, and chest that hasn't improved since last April, even with methotrexate....it's not an easy road with MAS but I'm going down fighting every second! Good luck with your syndrone and thanks for the info on pityriasis chronica, I'm going to research that to see if it fits my rash and joint pain!
    • Posted

Patti,  thanks for your insight.  Pityriasis lichenoides chronica is an on-going skin disease with flattened brownish spots that usually comes in pairs.  Ironically, it affects the young and mainly males of which I'm neither.
  • Posted

Are you being monitored by a rheumatologist? If not, or sounds as if you could do worry a referral.
    • Posted

Dear Louise

There are a number of sero-negative arthritis conditions that mask themselves as osteoarthritis - but there has been so much development in DMARDS (disease modifying drugs) and the prevention of joint damage (preventing the need for joint replacement) that I think it's worth exploring with a rheumatologist to make absolutely sure you're not missing out on something that could prevent future surgery and improve your quality of life.

• Posted

Hi Lucy, I just returned from my physiotherapist and she recommended the same thing you mentioned.  She also suggested reflexology which I will check on, or possibly look up exercises to do at home.

Thanks for that added comment!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.